109 - Aynor

The road was three days-on-horseback long from the outskirts of Hyacinth to the nearest port of the Celestel River. Fortunately, it was the year of the Miracle Fest, and the week of June that Hyacinth would deliver their finest products to supply the capital for the soon-to-come celebrations.

The Hadrians took the opening to slip into Aynor with as little notice as possible, disguised as merchants, hidden amongst dozens of barrels and crates of carmine, dates and goat cheese, which were then loaded onto three roofed barges. The ablest men lay down arms and took up oars instead, and the stowaways were wedged into whatever space was left like an afterthought.

Sir Jarl and the Blood Druid Vyrgil steered the foremost barge, which carried Gillian, and the Baron and Baroness Hadrian, attended to by the Graye sisters. The remaining Blood Druids took charge of the last barge, carrying Tissa, Dorsea and Philema.

Meya shared her nook at the back of the second barge with Coris, Zier and Arinel. Frenix was supposed to be with them, but he'd monkeyed his way over the kegs to the front, just behind the rowing Christopher. The little pain claimed he needed space to play-fight with the monster of his shadow, using Coris's straw doll, equipped with a toothpick sword Meya had molded for him.

Meya's excitement for the river voyage had long soured. After three days cramped inside a sweltering wagon, pummeled incessantly by the unforgiving terrain, her back stiff, her neck cricking, her buttocks sore, her head swimming from morning sickness, her expectations had risen so high, even the gentle, lulling sway of the water did little to please her. 

Coris untied his cloak and cast it over his lap. He grinned as he caught Meya's questioning look, pulled the hems taut then flourished his hands.

"Sleep, my lady," He said, his gray eyes twinkling, "Rest thine head so weary."

Zier whistled over the sound of his harp, as Arinel giggled from her bed on his lap. Meya shot her beau a playful glare then took up his offer. She leaned on her back so as to behold his face, as he leafed through the book resting open on his other knee. An unwise decision, as it positioned her nose right below his pit.

Meya rolled onto her side, her face scrunched. Coris straightened in alarm.

"What, again?" His book fell with a flump as he lunged for the chamberpot. Meya shook her head, her nostrils pinched shut,

"No, Lexi, you stink!"

"Meya!"

Coris whined amidst Zier's roar of laughter, which met its abrupt end by Arinel's verdict,

"Oh, perish it. You both stink."

Trembling with laughter, Meya clamped her free hand over her mouth as the smelly brothers sulked. Since their disastrous first attempt in the Hyacinth Castle courtyard, Coris and Zier, undeterred, had taken to training together at every opportunity, which did not necessarily include the chance to bathe and change.

His nose thrust high, Coris crossed his arms and puckered his lips, eyes closed in denial.

"You may smell the stench of sweat, my good woman. I smell the fragrance of love."

"Whatever you say, milord." 

Chuckling, Meya burrowed her cheek into the fat of his leg. He was still bony enough that his pulse drummed clear against her ear, but he was rosier, slept sounder, and no longer asked her for laudanum. Soon, he'd be strong enough for Meya to no longer constantly worry for him, strong enough to defend her and their babe, which was his goal (as revealed to her in strict confidence by Zier).