32 - Sabotage

For as long as Zier remembered, Coris had always been the prodigy, and he the putz.

True, he came out on top (out of two) when it came to swordplay, riding, archery, and not ripping the seams of the shape-hugging men's legwear, but considering any knight or yeoman serving his father would achieve the same and more, those weren't boast-worthy credentials.

Coris excused his physical shortcomings and obnoxiousness by excelling in all the arts thrown at him; strategy, negotiation, leadership, sciences, and philosophy.

Linguistics was his forte, however. He'd always had a way with runes, words and languages. Whether he was weaving scathing similes to describe intellectual inferiors—namely Zier, delivering an opening speech to a banquet, penning a heartrending eulogy for a fallen knight, impressing a Tyldornian emissary with a snippet of their tongue, or most recently, negotiating hostages with a dangerous Nostran mercenary—Things Zier could never imagine himself doing.

However, what Zier himself and everyone who knew him didn't appreciate enough was that Zier could be as cunning and eloquent as Coris—Well, when certain things disturbed him enough for him to put his mind and mouth to solving.

For example, preventing his overtly righteous sweetheart from marrying his brother.

Coris led Mother into the room and held the door for her. As she swept past him towards Father, who sat behind the oaken desk at the heart of the study, Coris glanced at Zier. And, in that fleeting glimpse, a chill rushed down Zier's spine.

Cold fury boiled underneath his serene, benign silver. Zier realized he'd been too late. No, he'd misstepped. He may have reached Father first, but that was because Arinel chose to hurry to Coris. Then again...

Truth belongs to he who speaks first.

Coris gave Zier those words, that night in the secret passageway where he stumbled upon Zier having just swallowed The Axel. He then admitted to Father he tried to steal The Axel. His wisdom proved true, as six years had passed, and Coris still held that truth fast in his clammy hands.

The same goes for Zier now. Since he'd spoken to Father first, Coris would know better than to challenge his version of the latest heist. The truth was of his design. Coris must work with what he left on the table.

Silence fell as sire and heir locked eyes, then the heir broke it,

"About the heist two nights ago, Father, I'd been meaning to report to you once the guests have left."

Coris cut to the chase as if he'd been with them from the start, always an expert at reading whatever room he was in. His smile was gentle, and his eyes twinkled,

"I simply would rather discuss our most dangerous secret while our every move isn't under foreign ears and eyes, but now it seems as if I had planned to fool you for as long as I dared."

"And thanks to your brother, only you and Freda will ever know for which you had intended," Father cocked his head at Zier, who blushed, then sighed heavily, frowning, "Nevertheless, you know you must alert me at once when the matter concerns The Axel. Yet, you kept it secret. I can only assume you fear for Arinel. Or yourself."

Zier's breath caught in his chest. It was as if Father had read their memories. Coris merely smiled sardonically as he faced Father's narrowed eyes.

"Justifiably so. Considering what happened to the last man who coveted The Axel."

"I would never harm you. I was trying to protect you!" Father sprang to his feet. Coris still smiled,

"Alas, only you and Freda will ever know for which you had intended." He wielded Father's words against him. Mother caught Father as he faltered, glowering at her smug son.