104 - Hewn of Ice and Stone

The shadow of the sundial had crept over the fifth hour, inching its way towards midday. Lady Jaise, whom Meya had trusted with Healer Hasif's eye, had just rejoined the congregation at the Great Hall, accompanied by Gillian, Ahmundi and Dizadh. She nodded vigorously, sending the beaded curtains of jet on her circlet dancing, as Baron Hadrian relayed Lady Hyacinth's ultimatum to her. Hasif's eye remained clutched in her painted hand, half forgotten.

"We found more eyes than surviving victims. It will take time to match them all. And a few may not find any match."

Winterwen concluded gravely as she rested the lone dragon eye on the dining table with a soft sigh. She met eyes with Baron Hadrian again, then gazed sorrowfully upon the rows of unconscious Greeneyes,

"You need only deliver these poor souls to Jaise. My curators and I will take care of the rest."

Gillian nodded. His glowing eyes surveyed the room.

"I have fifteen dragons. They can each carry two." He suggested.

"My three Greeneye guards can probably carry one each. And Tissa and Dorsea, if they are up to the task. Then we take the rest in our carriages." Baron Hadrian concluded. Winterwen nodded, yet worry still weighed heavy on her eyebrows.

"We'd still need a few days to prepare. And supplies aplenty." She reminded him. Kellis rubbed his chin as he frowned in dismay.

"Amoriah accepts food or seed in payment." He recalled. Heaving a deep sigh, he shook his head as his frown deepened, "Hadrian needs every morsel of food we can salvage at the moment. And we certainly will not pay with our men."

"Neither will Jaise." Winterwen heaved another sigh. Lips pursed in determination, she turned to Baron Hadrian with an offer, "I can promise her a share of Jaise's harvest, but do your best to haggle, regardless."

Kellis's expression lightened at that, relieved and thankful.

"Very well. Hadrian will compensate you in gold."

"No need for that. This sin is ours to atone." Winterwen waved her hand, adamant.

"I insist."

As the two rulers continued to argue the terms of payment, Ahmundi caught Gillian's eye. The dragon-man nodded, so Ahmundi silently excused himself and his father from the discussion, tiptoeing over to where Baroness Hadrian stood keeping watch with the children.

Ahmundi bowed to Baroness Sylvia, smiled at Frenix and Atmund, then met eyes with his old friend Coris. Out of the folds of his toga, he produced three stoppered vials, each labeled, each containing a glowing dragon eye.

"We found your friends' eyes." He handed them to Coris, watching as the scarred Lady Agnesia lunged for the vial bearing her twin sister's name, then dipped his head apologetically, "But only one each. Lady Jaise said they can take a second eye from the library later. She has some spares no one will miss."

He whispered. Coris nodded along as he studied the remaining two vials, then handed them to Meya. He answered her hesitant gaze with a jerk of his chin, and Meya dashed off, headed to the Hadrians' quarters to return them to their owners. Christopher, ever vigilant, caught the girl's arm and assumed the lead. Meya was forced to slow down to match his gait, much to Coris's relief and her chagrin.

Despite her frenzied scramble for her sister's eye earlier, Agnes didn't follow. She stood rooted, the vial pressed flush to her chest, as her eyes stared unseeing into the distance.

After the ordeal Coris had suffered with his brother, Agnes's dilemma felt as if it were his own. And how could he judge her letting her demented dragon sister slumber for a while longer, when he once chose poison over apologizing to his ten-year-old baby brother?