a change

I sighed sticking my hand out to feel the rain. "This is the 3rd day in a row it has rained!", I thought in my head. Usually Jacksonsville is sunny, but recently it hasn't been.

I looked at my mother whose cough had grown worse. Luckily we found an alleyway who had a couple awnings we could be under, but that still didn't help with the cold.

"Are you alright mother?", I asked.

"Mom are you okay?", I asked looking at her.

She was pale, her eyes were dark and droopy, and she was shivering and skinny. "yes dear..im okay."

I could tell she was lying, I felt terrible. I know somethings wrong with my mom, but even so, I can't take her to the doctors, we can't afford it.

Our living situation wasn't working anymore, and yet I couldn't change a thing about it.

I sigh, and bend down to take a look at her foot, the swelling on her foot hasn't gotten any better either.

I look down my old watch to see its currently 5:06.

"Okay mom, ill be back after work!", I say getting on my bike and heading to the Coffee Bar.

I rode my bike a half mile to the Coffee Bar. I go through the back door and through the workers area. We have a pretty large bathroom, with a vanity and a shower, this is wear I clean up for work and just in general. Sometimes when I can I sneak my mother in the bathroom to bathe her aswell.

My shift didn't start till 6, but I wanted to freshen up before hand. I took a hot shower, and sprayed myself with perfume. I straightened my hair with the straightener that was left in the bathroom.

I looked myself over making sure I was clean and presentable.

I still had a very athletic shape, I had abs still, and a nice butt. I didnt have big boobs or anything, they were just average. I had long-mid back, jet black hair, with blue eyes. I was average height, and weighed 125 pounds.

(To give you an idea of Astrids appearance)

I glanced at the time to see it was 6:02.

Dammit in late!!!

I quickly packed up my things and sat them in my cubby. I grabbed and apron and put it on. I put my hair in a braid and pulled a few bangs out as fast as I could before going behind the register.

"A little late much?", ruby sneered as she grabbed her coat.

I just rolled my eyes before grabbing pen and notebook to start taking orders.

The Cafe was pretty busy this day. But around 7:40 it got less and less busy.

I was leaning against the counter waiting for another customer so I could serve them, since all the other people already had someone serving them.

I almost fell asleep right then and there until I heard the bell on the door ring.

I look up to see the hottest guy I had ever seen.

He had dark hair, he was taller than me, and he had the nicest blue eyes I've seen on a male before. I didnt have to see him without a shirt on. I could tell he had abs and muscles.

"Hello? Are you there?"

The voice snapped me back to reality.

"Oh um im really sorry about that.", I scold myself mentally before looking at him. Hes even better looking close up.

"I'd like to take my order...", his eyes roll down to my name tag. "...Astrid."

Hearing my name outloud, especially by someone like him made me turn red.

"O-oh uh sure!", I stuttered.

He pauses. "I haven't seen you before."

I raise an eyebrow.

"I mean, I haven't seen you before here.", he says. " I come in here regularly.

"Oh uh, I just started so...yeah.", I say quickly.

He pauses again. "How old are you?"

I look at him with confusion. "I'm...16...wait why are you asking me this?"

"Oh, you just looked my age, and I've never seen you at school before. No need to get so offensive."

"I wasn't getting offensive. So excuse yo-"

He looks up my directly in my eyes, and with annoyance he says. "I'd like a strawberry cake pop."

I watch as he leaves. That was the worst, but best encounter of a male in my life.

************************************

As I bike back to the alleyway with my bag on my shoulder, I couldn't get the guy off my mind. He didn't even tell me his name.

I turn into our alleyway, my mom looks at me delightedly.

"Sweetie I found us a place to stay!!"

I grow a smile.

"Yes!! You'll never believe at whose house!!!"

I almost dropped dead at her next words.

"The Westens!!!"

No fucking way. Hadley Westen was a Billionare.

"How mom??, I asked in confusion.

"Well I knew Hadley back in highschool....he was my boyfriend. We had to stop dating because he was rich, and I was not.", she says. "Today he saw me and immediately asked if we wanted to come stay with him."

"I-is he not married or anything??", I say. I had a million questions.

"No. Divorced for 4 years. But he has a son your age.", she says packing her bag.

Oh...awsome.

"His driver will be here to get us shortly! Pack up!"

Just then a fancy SUV pulls up, the driver gets out and helps my mother to the car. I grab me and my moms bag, and put them in the trunk.

I wasn't at all prepared for what the next day would bring.