I'm here- S.J.

Background: You and Scarlett are married and have three kids: Rose, Elizabeth and Thomas. You are a detective in the NYPD.

Ages:
Scarlett: 35
You: 36
Rose: 9
Elizabeth: 8
Thomas: 5

Scarlett X MaleReader (Joshua)

Word count: 1393

Enjoy :)
______________________________

Joshua POV
"ITS MY JOB SCARLETT, I DONT GET TO CHOSE WHEN I DO OR DONT WORK." Once again, Scarlett and I were arguing about my work.

"IT'S CHRISTMAS, JOSHUA. CHRISTMAS. AND YOU CAN SAY NO. YOU ALWAYS TELL OUR CHILDREN NO IS A FULL SENTENCE BUT YOU NEVER USE THE WORD YOURSELF. I'm not doing this right now. I'm going to bed and you can sleep down here. Merry fucking Christmas, Joshua." She stormed off upstairs. I hated that she used my full name but I understood she was pissed. My captain told me I had to work tomorrow which meant I wouldn't see my family. It felt like shit but I didn't have a choice.

I realised that we hadn't put the kids to bed so I went upstairs to do so. Rose and Elizabeth shared a room while Tommy's was next to theirs. I went to the girls room first.

"Hey, daddy." Beth said from her bed.

"Hey, Squirt. You both ready for bed?" I asked the two girls who both nodded.

"Why were you and mama shouting again, dad?" Rose asked me. I sat down in the gab between their beds and leaned on the wall behind me.

"Do you not love each other anymore?" Beth asked me taking me by surprise.

"No, no, no. Of course we do. I love your Mama so much. She knows that. She loves me too. Just sometimes mama thinks I should do one thing but I think I should do something different and we argue. Same way when you want to watch something on the TV but Tommy's watching what he wants and then you argue about it. Or when the two of you argue over your toys. That's all. But in the end everything's okay, isn't it? Because I love your mama, mama loves me and we both love you three so much." I kissed both their foreheads and tucked them in. "Go to sleep or Santa won't come." I warned them before going into Tommy's room.

He was fast alseep in his bed. I laughed at how small he looked, practically swallowed by his Captain America bedsheets. I turned off his light and went back out the room.

I went into mine and Scarlett's room. She was turned away from the door in bed. I walked over to the closet getting clean clothes for tomorrow and some comfy clothes to sleep in. I put them on a chair before walking over to Scarlett.

I crouched down to her level and looked at her gorgeous face. She had tear stains running down her cheeks and her hair was in her face. I brushed her hair away softly and wiped her cheeks. I then noticed she was wrapped in one of my hoodies.

"I'm so sorry I keep screwing up. I'm trying, baby. I love you." I whispered to her then placed a soft kiss on her forehead. I got my clothes and went back downstairs to the couch. I changed and got a blanket to cover myself with.

--

I sat at my desk with my partner, Smithy, going through CCTV looking for our suspect. My face all of a sudden screwed up in realisation.

"You okay, Detective Taylor? You look like you've realised something." I heard my captains voice from the door way in front of us.

"Yeah. I have but you aren't going to like it." I told him standing up.

"Well, what it is?" He asked. Smithy paused the CCTV to pay attention to us.

"Yeah.. I can't be here." I told him walking towards the door.

"What?" My captain asked with his usual monotone voice.

"Yeah. You heard. I gotta go home." I told him walking towards the exit.

"You walk out that door and you're fired, Taylor." He warned me.

"That's okay, Sir. Because I quit." I chucked my gun and badge to him and walked out to my car. I sped towards our house but Scarlett wasn't home. Then I realised where she would be.

I sped through the streets towards the house I had become familiar with. I knocked on the door and Melanie answered.

"Josh? Scarlett told me you were working. What are you doing here?" She questioned.

"Is Scarlett here?" I asked. Melanie nodded and let me in. I walked towards the living room where I saw the love of my life, surrounded by our children and her family.

"Who is it, mom?" She asked. She turned around and saw me. She looked shocked and her eyes widened. She got up and hugged me tight, as if I would disappear if she let go. "Why are you here? I thought you had to work." She asked confused.

"Daddy!" Tommy ran towards us with a toy in his hand, I picked him up and place him on my hip, continuing my conversation with my wife.

"I thought you would get fired if you left?" Scarlett asked.

"They can't fire me."

"What?" She asked confused.

"You can't fire someone who doesn't work for you." I told her, she pieced it together.

"Josh-" she said softly before I cut her off.

"I know what you're going to say, about how I love my job and you're right, I do. I love solving crimes and doing good, protecting people but when I married you I vowed to not let my career get in the way of our relationship or our family and I've broken that vow on more than one occasion. My father was a lousy dad. Never around and when we was he was drunk and abusive. I know I'm not like he was but I'm half of what he was, I'm never around for the kids, never around you. I'm done with being a lousy dad and I'm done with not being there for you. All the arguments there cause of me. Cause of my job. I loved that job but I didn't love it half as much as I love my family. So from now on I'm here. No where else. I'm here with my family and that's how it's going to be. I'm helping you raise these kids properly, I'll take them to school, to clubs, on days out, I'm gonna be here for birthdays and Christmases and Easter and every other holiday too. Every day I'll be here. I'll find another job where it's less hours and I can take time off to be with my family when I need to be." I said. Scarlett was stood in front of me with tears running down her face but a huge smile.

I put Tommy down and hugged Scarlett tightly.

"I'm so sorry but I'm here now and I love you." I whispered into her hair.

"I love you too." She whispered back.

"Now, let's eat Grandma's amazing food and watch Christmas movies the rest of the day like a proper Johansson Christmas!" I declared remembering the Christmas transitions Scarlett likes to stick to.

"Daddy. We aren't Johansson's though, we're Taylor's." Beth pointed out.

"You, my baby girl, are most definitely a Johansson." I said picking her up, even though she's 8. "You have your mom's blonde hair and her gorgeous eyes. You are your mom's mini me. Tommy is me. Brunette hair and blue eyes but he has your mom's nose and face and Rose is a mix of both your grandmothers. She's got Nana's eyes and nose but grandma's hair and face. But you are all perfect and all equally Johansson and Taylor buuut if you don't want to have a Johansson Christmas we can out you in the yard with the dogs and I'll eat all your candy." I teased.

"Ah! No daddy! That's my candy!" She said offended.

"Well, then we're having a Johansson Christmas!" I sat her in her seat at the table and then took my seat next to Scarlett. I know Melanie always makes way too much food at Christmas so my unexpected arrival made no difference at all.

This was how I wanted my life to be forever. Me, my wife and our family.