Chapter 4

A few days later, and the group was on the road once again. They had finished arranging things and contacting Princess Peach with an update, so now the group was heading to Westopolis, to stay at the villa that Queen Aleena mentioned.

This time, most of the group wasn't riding in the Tornado. With Sonia and Manic joining the group, the group decided to bring a van with them. Only Tails and Luigi piloted the plane, and Mario drove his kart again. Sonic, as usual, ran to Westopolis on foot. Sonia was driving a pink motorcycle that she owned (which surprised everyone except her brothers, since they didn't expect her to own one.) Manic was driving the van, with Kate and Amy as passengers, and everyone's belongings were in the back of the van. Both of the girls sat in the passenger seats behind the front seats of the van.

Manic offered the front passenger seat to Kate, but she politely declined, since she started to pick up the sense that the green hedgehog was flirting with her the other night. She didn't feel comfortable with it, so she wanted to sit in the back with Amy instead. She had hoped that Amy would sit in the passenger seat up front, so she could read the book she had stowed away in secret, but Kate had to be patient and wait until later.

Up in the driver's seat, Manic had adjusted his mirror a little bit. He moved it so that he could get a good view of Kate. He suddenly smirked as he saw her in the reflection.

"So Kate, did you enjoy staying at the castle?" he asked.

"It was alright," said Kate. She stared out the window, not wanting to look at the green hedgehog.

"Alright? Don't you think it's great to live in a castle?" asked Manic.

"I've been staying at Princess Peach's castle. I think a villa will be a nice change of scenery, along with some new faces," said Kate.

"Oh, that's right. Sonic contacted some of our friends! I'm sure you'll like them, Kate. You too, Manic. I'm so happy to introduce you both to some of our friends," said Amy.

"Sonic sure has been out and about meeting new people, huh," said Manic.

"Yeah. Have you met some friends when you guys were still fighting to save your home?" asked Amy.

"A few. Though practically everyone, we lost touch with, since they all went off to do their own things, and Sonia and I stayed in Mobotropolis. Though from what I understand, Sonic lost contact with them to, but I don't know why," said Manic.

'Maybe because of this ex-girlfriend named Sally, that he told me about one time,' Kate thought.

She didn't say it out loud. It was best not to bring it up, considering that Sonic trusted her and Mario when he shared that story.

"Oh, we're almost there," said Manic.

"Good. It'll be great to get out of this car and finally walk again," said Amy. She groaned a little bit as she spoke.

A little bit later, and Manic pulled the van up to a gate. The gate was already open, and he entered the property, showing a large estate up ahead. The Tornado and Mario's kart were already parked, and Sonic was standing outside talking with a few people. There was no sign of Sonia's motorcycle, so the case was that she hadn't arrived yet.

Manic finally parked the van, and Kate and Amy stepped out, followed by the driver. When they got out, Kate noticed that the two people Sonic was talking to were Shadow and Silver. Upon seeing them, she felt a bit upset. Princess Peach must've sent them here to keep an eye on her.

Silver, she was okay with, for she and the grey hedgehog had become good friends. She also trusted Silver, and felt that he understood how it felt to be different. Shadow, however, was a different story. She didn't feel like she could trust him, and it was more than because of his status as GUN agent. She felt that the black hedgehog was watching over her for some reason other than a mere assignment.