Chapter 13

Morning finally came, and now that it was a brand new day, Knuckles was mentally prepared to face Kate. It had been a couple of days since the awkward mess with her and Manic, and now that he had given Kate the space that she needed, he was ready. First to give her the small gift that he got her, and then to try his best to ask her out.

The echidna was nervous, for he hadn't done so in a long time. The last time he asked a girl out, it was with his ex-girlfriend, Julie-Su. She appeared to have returned the same feelings, but later on, Knuckles came to realize that the truth was that she only wanted to date him to use him. Taking advantage of how there weren't many other echidnas left in the world, she had used their relationship to make him buy her things she didn't even need, but rather wanted. Finally seeing the truth in her, Knuckles broke up with Julie-Su, and ever since then, he had been single. And the fact that Sonia and Rouge would flirt with him, for it was possible that both girls liked him, it didn't make him feel any better.

But Kate was different. Knuckles didn't feel uncomfortable with her nor when he was around her. Considering that he was asexual and not seeing a super romantic relationship, Knuckles wanted to understand if Kate was better for him than the girls he had problems with.

It had been a couple days, so no was the time to try to ask Kate out, and he was prepared. Tails and Cream suggested that he give her a poetry book, so he went out and got one he figured she might like.

After getting ready for the day, Knuckles grabbed the book that he wrapped a little ribbon around, ready to find Kate and talk to her. He headed out of his room and made his way to the kitchen. Though to his surprise, everyone was already finished with breakfast. Everyone else had left, which meant that Knuckles had overslept.

The echidna glanced over to the back door, and seeing through the glass doors that Kate was in the back yard continuing her training. Today, she was back to practicing using her powers, and right now, Princess Daisy, Cream, and a few others were there to guide her in practicing using her powers.

Knuckles took a deep breath and exhaled, ready to head outside. But before he could start walking outside, someone spoke from behind him.

"So, going out to be a part of training?" they said.

Knuckles turned around, and he tried his best to not frown when he saw that it was Manic who spoke to him.

"Yeah. So what if I'm going to be a part of training? That's why we're all here, right? Here to help Kate master her powers," said Knuckles.

"Maybe, but I know you're considering asking Kate out," said Manic.

Knuckles turned a little pink on his cheeks. To his surprise, Manic merely chuckled.

"I knew it. Listen, Knuckles buddy. We've gone back, even before Sonic decided to leave my family and go off on the world. And I think I speak for the good of our friendship when I state that, between my sister and Kate, I would prefer you date my sister instead," the green hedgehog said.

"And why would you have absolutely no problem with me dating your sister?" Knuckles asked. He finally started to frown, and he crossed his arms across his chest as he asked the green hedgehog his question.

"Well, two reasons. One: I know that my sister has a crush on you, and I wouldn't want to see you break her heart by turning her down," said Manic.

Knuckles growled and muttered, "Fair point..."

"And two: I'll have you know that I like Kate a lot, and I asked her out first," said Manic.

"You said you had two reasons, not three..." Knuckles snapped at him.