Taking The Lead

I walked down the stairs, all ready for the next day of school.

"Bye mom." I waved as I opened the door. I stopped in my tracks. Rain was thundering out of the sky. Thick and heavy clouds covered us.

"Oh, sorry. I forgot to say. School is canceled for a bit, you'll have a late start. Pepa's not having the best day I'm guessing."

"I can tell. What is making her this mad?" I shut the door and set my bag down. I flinched as a loud thunder erupted in the sky.

Camilo's Perspective:

Pepa hmmph'd loudly. "I win, again." Isabela smiled. Placing her cards in the center.

"You're all cheating." Pepa spat.

"I agree, you keep using your gifts." Mirabel crossed her arms.

"Tia, you have a gift too though, just use it." Luisa added.

"What do you think I'm doing?" Pepa pointed at the sky. Rain droplets fell through the center of the roof.

She tossed her cards in the center. "Go again." She ordered.

"What is all this noise?" Abuela asked. Her eyes widened as she saw me and Mirabel. "Why did the school call and tell me that we have a late start?" She heard a loud thunder strike. "Pepa!"

"I'm sorry, mama. But they're cheating!" Felix patted her back and she glared. "I'm losing too, but I'm not mad." He tried to reassure her.

She rolled her eyes and began to whisper to herself, "clear skies, clear skies, clear skies."

She took a deep breath. "Okay, no gifts round. Go."

Pepa smiled at her assortment of cards. A bird on Antonio's shoulder flew up into the air and peeked at Pepa's cards. He flew back onto his shoulder and squawked. He placed down a Skip card, Pepa was right after him.

"Tonito! I said no gifts!"

(Y/N)'s Perspective:

I opened the calendar that was passed out earlier. Cheer tryouts were today.

"I'm trying out for cheer." I looked up at my mom who sat across from me, drinking coffee and doing a puzzle.

"I didn't know you wanted to start that back up, after what happened to Charlotte." She joked.

"It sounded fun, plus I was going to do it with Mirabel."

"Do you still have an outfit to try out in?"

I nodded. "I think I still have my old one."

I came back downstairs and held it up against me. It was about 2 sizes too small.

"Well, that's a bust." I straightened my mouth, thinking.

"You have a few hours before school starts, what if you ask Mirabel to help you make one. Didn't you say she could sew?"

"You're a genius." I have her a quick hug and ran outside heading to her house. Quickly running back inside to grab and umbrella then running out again.

"(Y/N)! Come back and bring your backpack incase you have to head to school with Mirabel!" My mom shouted.

I ran back inside and grabbed my bag. "Thanks!"

Camilo's Perspective:

"(Y/N)'s here." Dolores said, stopping me and Luisa mid arm wrestle.

As she knocked on the door, everyone looked at me. "What? She's Mirabel's friend!"