Acting It Out

(A/N) The story used in this chapter is A Mid-Summer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare, so if you want more context on the characters mentioned you can search it! ❤️

At the end of the day in English Class:

"Flip to page we left off on, everyone!" The teacher announced. Flipping to the requested page, I rested my head in my hand.

"Who wants to read Hermia and Helena's lines?" Senora Lee asked. The classroom was quiet and no one raised their hands.

"Fine, I'll pick myself." She surveyed the room. "Catalina you read Hermia and Ana you can read Helena."

"No one wants to read Shakespeare, Senora." Catalina groaned.

"I don't care that no one wants to read Shakespeare. It's in the curriculum and I'm going to teach it. Now read lines 12 through 15."

"I'd rather do anything else than read this dumb book." She shut the book and looked up at the teacher in annoyance.

Senora sighed and opened her mouth to talk, but stopped when the door opened andCarlos walked in.

"You're late." She said, annoyed.

"Sorry." He shrugged.

"Just take a seat anywhere." She said before refocusing her attention on the rest of the class.

"So who all doesn't want to read the book?" Everyone raised their hand, except Mirabel.

"Mira," I whispered. "Raise your hand."

"I actually kind of like the book!" She whispered back.

I stifled a laugh.

"Carlos, why are you raising your hand? You don't even know what book I'm talking about!" Senora asked.

"I still don't want to read it." He shrugged on his reply.

"Okay, since no one, except Mirabel, wants to read the book, I'll make a deal with you all. You need to get into groups of 4 and act out one of the scenes. The best group won't have to read the book, but everyone else has to finish the book and write me a 3 page essay on why reading old text is important."

Everyone exchanged glances and nodded.

"Do we get to pick our groups?" Camilo asked, looking at me and Mirabel.

"Yes. But pick wisely, you only want people who will be productive." She quickly checked the clock on the wall. "Pick your groups before class ends, you'll have the whole weekend to complete this and we will present Monday!"

As soon as she finished I gathered with Mirabel and Camilo. "Okay, we've got 3, now who's gonna be the 4th person?"

"Glad you asked." Senora Lee walked up to us. "I don't think Carlos has a group, can he join you guys?"

"Of course!" Mirabel replied.

"Gracias, Mirabel." She looked over at Carlos who was sleeping with his feet on the desk. "Carlos! Come join this group, and stop sleeping in my class. What a horrible first impression." She mumbled the last part under her breath.

He jolted awake and walked over to us, rubbing his eyes. As Senora walked away, we began deciding who would do which part.

"I don't care which character I'd play, I'll just focus on making costumes." Mirabel shrugged.

"I could make a backdrop?" I suggested. "If we want to win, we'd definitely have to go all out."

"I'll help with that." Camilo chimed in. Everyone looked at Carlos, hoping he'd suggest on how he could help.

"Don't look at me." He put his hands up. "Don't expect me to do much work."

"Oh you're doing work." Mirabel glared. "I'm not going to write an essay, even though I could, just because you are too lazy to help!"

She put her hands on her hips while Carlos rolled his eyes. "Now, let's all meet at the Casita after school and we can start. We only have 2 days before school on Monday to present."

Quickly, the bell rang and we all hurried out of class to our lockers to get ready to start working on the play.

...

"How far away is your house?" Carlos complained.

"It's literally right there." Camilo pointed at the house which sat a couple feet in front of us, annoyed.

As we walked inside, Carlos leaned against a wall. Felix was walking down the stairs and his eyes grew wide as he saw us.

"Camilo! What happened to you, hijo? You look... depressed." Felix questioned, genuinely worried.

Carlos narrowed his eyes at us and we all stifled laughs.

Felix froze and scratched his head as he noticed both of the Camilo's. "Wait, are you Camilo, or are you Camilo?" His gaze swapped between the two of them.

"PEPA!" He shouted. Pepa and Dolores ran down the stairs, standing beside him.

"Oh." Pepa muttered. "That one is Camilo, I know my son." She pointed to Carlos.

"Mama, he's literally wearing dark colors." Camilo whined. He grabbed my hand. "Let's go to my room."

"I guess you don't know your son." Felix joked as we left.

"Hush, Felix." Pepa replied while Dolores silently laughed.

*Mini Time Skip*

"Okay, so who wants to be who? There's 4 main characters and 4 of us." I pointed at the poorly drawn diagram I made of all the 4 characters.

"I'll take Hermia." I pointed to her on the page. "Camilo, you take Lysander. Hermia's main love interest." I looked at Camilo who nodded.

"I'll take Helena and Carlos can have Deme..." Mirabel began, but stopped as Julieta entered.

"I have some snacks for you guys." She passed us a plate of arepas while looking at Camilo and Carlos. Isabela and Luisa peeked around the corner, whispering amongst themselves.

"They really do look alike."

"Who is he?"

"Does he have a gift?" They both look down in unison as Antonio walked between them.

Antonio walked into the room and up to Carlos, his favorite lion cub in hand.

"What's your name?" He asked. Carlos jumped onto Camilo's bed away from the small lion and Antonio.

"WHY THE HECK DOES HE HAVE A LION?"

Everyone began to laugh, except Camilo who ordered Carlos off of his bed.

"The bad boy's not as bad as you'd think." I looked over at him.

"No, it's just that, that's a lion!" Carlos slowly crawled off Camilo's bed and over to the corner of the room.

"Koda is nice." Antonio said angrily.

"YOU NAMED IT?"

"It's a she."

"Tonito, I said if you came to look you can't bring any animals." Julieta rubbed her hand on her face. "We'll this was a bust. Continue your project." She said as she walked out, leaving the plate of arepas on the table.

Carlos was breathing heavily. "Is this normal over here?"

"Very." Mirabel giggled. "But that does give me an idea! We can use some of Antonio's animals for our play, that will definitely make ours very good."

"Not the lion, right?" Carlos quickly asked, worried.

"Of course not the lion. Maybe a donkey, though." Mirabel touched her chin, thinking.