Making Friends and Making Enemies

Monday and the day of the "play"

"Are you sure I can't come?" My mom asked as she handed me my backpack.

"No, mom." I laughed. "Plus, we're just reenacting a 2 minute scene. It's not too special."

"Well, I think everything is special."

"Of course you do. Bye mom." I kissed her cheek and ran out the door.

...

When I got to school, I noticed Camilo, Mirabel, and Carlos discussing our play. Their faces were all tense.

"I can just shift to him, easy."  Camilo said while crossing his arms.

"But what if I don't want you to shift to me?" Carlos asked.

"You're not kissing (Y/N), Carlos. Nice try." Mirabel scoffed.

I shook my head. "What are we talking about?" Everyone turned noticing I was listening.

"On the last act of the play, Carlos would have to kiss you."

"Not gonna happen." Camilo quickly blurted.

"Exactly, so Camilo suggested to shift to him, but Carlos doesn't agree." Mirabel finished.

"I'm not kissing you Carlos so please get it out of your head." I rolled my eyes.

"But, you don't know my lines." Carlos interjected.

"I have all study hall to learn them." Camilo grinned. "Plus I don't need to say anything, just kiss (Y/N) then shift back to myself." He shrugged and stuffed the costumes Mirabel made into his locker.

Carlos rolled his eyes as the bell rang, lifting his hands in acceptance. "Alright."

We nodded and walked off.

Ivan's Perspective:

While walking back to my locker I stopped with the new kid, I think his name was Carlos.

"You actually thought you had a chance?" I rubbed my hand through my hair and scoffed.

"It was worth a shot. And say, if I overheard properly, didn't you think you had a chance too?" He looked up at me and grinned.

"You're funny." I nudged him. "Your name's Carlos, right?"

He nodded, adjusting his shirt. "Yeah. Stuck with a C name and looking like that Madrigal."

"What do you mean? That's a blessing in disguise. Every girl's after him." I sighed.

"Blessing? The only attention I've gotten was that Catalina chick's. And she's annoying as heck." He rolled his eyes.

The bell suddenly rung.

"Shoot, we're late. Im already down for a lunch detention on Friday." I looked over at Carlos while I was standing to head to class. He stood still, leaned against the locker.

"You coming?"

He smiled. "In a bit. I've been late to first out since my first day. It'd be bad to lose my streak now."

Time Skip to lunch and (Y/N)'s Perspective:

Slamming my lunchbox on the table, I sat down. "That was the worst history class ever. Senora wouldn't stop talking about her broken relationships." I laid my head on the table.

"That was the best nap I've ever taken." Ivan sat down next to Nicolas, leaving a spot between them.

"You usually sit by me." Nicolas furrowed his brows at Ivan. "Do you think I have rabies or something? I promise the dog just ate soap."

"No, Nicolas." He laughed. "I'm just saving a spot for someone."

"Last person we let join the table was Mirabel and I've regretted it since." Camilo rubbed his forehead.

"HEY!" Mirabel tossed an apple at her cousin, who ducked just in time, laughing. The apple flew behind him where Carlos caught it just in time.

"Woah, I know you don't like me. But throwing apples now?" Half the table sighed when he approached.

"Give him a chance guys." Ivan said while scooting to the chair next to Nicolas, leaving Carlos his previous seat.

"I'm all for giving chances, and shoot, I asked for a chance myself!" Mirabel said. "But Carlos, I don't think so."

"He's actually really nice." Ivan argued. "You guys gave (Y/N) a chance."

I blinked. "What do I have to do with this?"

"At least (Y/N) doesn't try to kiss people's girlfriends." Mirabel narrowed her eyes.

"Who wouldn't want to kiss his girlfriend?" Ivan continued. Suddenly going quiet when he realized what he just said.

The bell rang as if just in time, concluding lunch and starting study hall.

"That's the bell!" Ivan quickly stood and walked out of the cafeteria.

Camilo stood to follow. "It's study hall, Ivan. Where are you going?" He followed Ivan as everyone let out the laugh they had clearly been holding in.

"I was going to ask Ivan to be a tree, but I guess that's not happening anymore." Mirabel slowly nodded.

Catalina walked up to our table, rubbing Carlos on his shoulder, who quickly exhaled.

"Yes, Catalina?" He asked, annoyed.

"I'm just wondering how you're play is gonna be. My mom got a real donkey." She smiled.

"Dang it." Mirabel stomped her foot under the table then turned to me. "I knew I should have asked Antonio for an animal."

*Time Skip to English*

Everyone sat at their seats and Ivan walked in a bit later.

"Ivan, I had you 7th hour, why are you here?" The teacher asked.

"I'm supposed to be a tree." He glared at Camilo who smiled.

"Okay..." she looked at him awkwardly. "We'll sit in the corner or something." She shoo'd him off.

He sat next to Carlos' desk on the floor and loudly whispered, "I get to skip math so this is a win for me."

"He wasn't mad?" Carlos scoffed in disbelief.

"Oh he was, that's why I'm being this stupid tree."

"Silencio!" The teacher yelled, quickly silencing them. "Now, Catalina's group, please come up and preform."

Everyone in her group including Ana, Lily, and Carmen walked up, leaving Catalina in her chair.

"My donkey isn't here!"

"We don't need the donkey! Ana is supposed to be the donkey." Carmen argued.

"I'm a donkey?" Ana asked confused and shocked.

Lily rolled her eyes. "Get ready to write this essay." She exhaled.

"Catalina please hurry. We have other groups."

She sighed and walked up to the front.

"I am asleep!" Catalina announced as she lied on the floor. Carmen, pretending to be the fairy king, Oberon, walks over to the "sleeping" Catalina with a lemon.

"I will cast a spell to make her fall in love with the first pathing she sees by putting the magical flower juice in her eye."

She squeezed the lemon into her eye, sending Catalina screaming.

"You aren't supposed to squeeze it, pendejo!" Catalina grunted and stood. "We're done."

"I didn't get to do my line yet!" Ana pouted.

The teacher shook her head in disappointment. "(Y/N)'s group, and Ivan, please come up for your play."

Everyone grabbed one prob and the custom poster board scenery for the background.

Mirabel cleared her throat. "This is the story of..."