CHAPTER 4

It was almost ten in the morning when Homer left the Casimero mansion. There's plenty of time, and he estimated that he could be in Calasiao in thirty minutes, more or less, depending on the traffic situation in Urdaneta. He had to see his old friend Chief Inspector David Arceo of the PNP (Philippine National Police), Calasiao City. Arceo was a living legend in criminal investigation. His fame is known not only in Pangasinan, but also in the nearby provinces of La Union, Nueva Ecija and Tarlac. At the age of 61, he was still active in the service. He and his wife Elena lived in Bued District, Calasiao. His two sons were officers in the Army, Captain David Arceo, Jr. and Major Jerome Arceo. Both sons were PMA (Philippine Military Academy) graduates.

At about ten-thirty, he reached the PNP Headquarters. He walked inside the building and, showing his badge, asked the desk sergeant if Chief Inspector Arceo was around. The desk sergeant said yes, and pointed to the office of Arceo to the far left of the ground floor (the headquarters were a two-storey building).

Homer proceeded to Chief Inspector Arceo's open office. Although the office was open, Homer knocked on the door three times. Chief Inspector Arceo was surprised to see Homer standing in the door way. Smiling, Arceo said, "Homer, old buddy, what brought you here?"

With extended arm, he met Homer who cheerfully took Arceo's proffered hand.

"How are you, friend? It's been a while," Arceo said.

"I'm good, buddy. And you?" Homer replied.

"Come, take a seat," Arceo said as he offered the chair in front of his desk.

Homer settled on the chair, while his host took his seat in his desk. He looked at Arceo whom he had not seen for two years. His friend's face hadn't changed a bit. It was still jovial and full of life. It's not surprising because Chief Inspector David Arceo always led a healthy lifestyle and a healthy outlook in life. He believed that life was like a mirror: if you smile at it, it will smile back on you; if you frown at it, it will frown back on you.

"So, what can I do for you Detective Homer?" he asked pleasantly.

Homer asked, "How much do you know about the Buya and Camba families?"

Arceo looked at him intently for a while, then asked, "You mean Leandro's and Benjamin's families? If I remember right they were convicted for the murder of Teodoro Climaco."

"That's right," Homer answered. "They and there families thought that the lawyers who represented them did not do their best in their defense. Their lawyers were Attorney Glenn Buencamino, for Buya, and Attorney Julian Casimero for Camba. Apparently, the Buyas and the Cambas blamed their lawyers for their conviction."

Arceo said, "I understand that Casimero and Buencamino are now running for congressman for the fifth district."

"Casimero was murdered six days ago," Homer pointed out. "Three days before his murder, he and Buencamino were delivered open coffins. I'm afraid that Buencamino would be the next target."

"And you suspected that the Buyas or the Cambas or both were behind the killing?"

"That's what I think, buddy," Homer said.

"Well," Arceo replied, "Leandro's father, Renato Buya, died a few years ago. Prostate cancer. His mother died ahead of his father. Heart failure, got her. Arcadio, Benjamin's father is still alive. Right now, he runs a bakery in Poblacion. So far it is doing well."

"What about the other Buya siblings—if there are?"

"Leandro has an older brother. Danilo's the name. He went to Pampanga and worked in a food processing plant. The last time I saw him was when his father died. I never heard of him since then. I presume he went back to Pampanga and settled there for good. His younger sister Levita now lives in Dagupan with her husband."