CHAPTER 13

The following morning, April 27, 2082, Viray was awakened by Aquino shaking him.

"Hey, partner. Wake up!" there was excitement in Aquino's voice.

"What is it?" said Viray as he shook his head to shake off his drowsiness.

"Look over there," Aquino pointed to a blue car that had just stopped in front of Leonard's open gate.

"My, my, what have we got here," Viray said, his eyes glued on the blue car.

Samson Aquino picked up a telescope from the dashboard and focused it on the car's plate number. It's AVD 1957. He took note of it and refocus the telescope back to the blue car. A man in a black shirt came out of the car and headed directly to Leonard's front door. The man knocked on the door in succession as if he had an urgent message to tell. Leonard opened the door, and the two men talked for a while. Then he and Leonard went inside the house.

"Looks like our visitor has an urgent message to tell. He looked excited," Viray commented.

A few minutes later, the man and Leonard came out of the house. The man hurriedly walked toward the car, Leonard on his heels. Viray and Aquino noticed that Leonard Regidor carry a travelling bag slung on his shoulder. Both men boarded the car, and a couple of seconds later, the car move in reverse until it turned right to the street where the woman visitor of Leonard went.

"I'll be damned!" Viray exclaimed and he started the engine to follow the blue car.

"Looks like they're going somewhere," Aquino said.

"I think someone summoned Regidor. Whoever that someone is, we're gonna find out," Viray said. He stepped on the accelerator, then they turned right. About 30 meters away, they could see the blue car heading south. Viray tried to stay as closely possible to the blue car, but he kept a distance far enough so as not to attract the attention of either man in the blue car. After 10 minutes, the blue car reached the intersection between the street and AB Fernandez Avenue. Then it turned east until it reached the intersection of AB Fernandez Avenue and MacArthur Highway. Viray tried his best not to lose their target. Viray and Aquino noticed that the car they were tailing turned to the left heading toward Arellano-Bani.

"Where the hell are they going?" Aquino wondered.

"I think they're going to Bonoan," Viray said.

The blue car continued its southbound journey until it reached Bonoan. It turned right and headed toward Bonoan Gueset.

"Shit! Looks like they're going to Merly's house," Viray exclaimed.

Viray's suspicion was confirmed when the blue car stopped right in front of Merly's house. Viray pulled over and parked their car under a fire tree. He left the engine running. Viray and Aquino saw Leonard and the man got out of the car and hurriedly walked toward Merly's front door. Leonard knocked on the door repeatedly until Merly opened the door. Leonard talked to Merly and he seemed to be explaining to the surprised woman about their unexpected visit. Then the three of them went inside the house. Moments later, Leonard and the man came out of the house. Then Merly, after closing the door, followed them to the blue car. Like Leonard, she took carried a traveling bag.

"Where the hell are they going?" Viray asked.

"Looks like they are going away," Aquino replied.

The blue car moved and headed east. Viray immediately stepped on the accelarator and followed the blue car which continued its easterly direction. Viray estimated that the car they were following was going at about 60 kilometers per hour. Then the car took the Bonoan Road to the right. Viray guessed that they're heading back to AB Fernandez Avenue. When they hit AB Fernandez, the blue car turned left this time heading toward Bulosan District. Viray followed the car.