CHAPTER 21

"I think that someone in Camanang had accomodated the Camba brothers and their

companions. It was this someone, whoever he or she is, who warned them of our presence in this barangay. If we can find this someone, then we can make him or her confess where those bastards went. For this purpose, we need the assistance of Chairman Nikki." Aquino explained.

After listening to Aquino, Homer nodded, "Yeah, I think you're right. Let's just pray that this will work."

"Wait a second," Viray looked at Homer and Aquino, "is it possible that Attorney Buencamino has a coordinator here? If so, Chairman Nikki might know him or her. Look, the chairman of the barangay should be informed first by a candidate that he would hold a campaign rally in his or her barangay in such a date. And usually the process is done through the candidate's coordinator. Now, I'm pretty sure that Attorney Buencamino has a coordinator in this barangay, and it is possible that Chairman Nikki knows this coordinator."

Homer tapped Viray's and Aquino's shoulders to show that he appreciated their ideas, "You, boys, are really good. Okay, let's move."

"But what about your car, Sir?" Aquino pointed to the flat tire of the car.

"I have a spare tire in the car's trunk. I have tools in unbolting the flat tire. You, boys, can help me replace the flat tire," Homer explained.

"Sure we can, Sir," Viray walked to the back compartment of the car, lift its hood and extracted the spare tire. Aquino brought out from the compartment the tool box. Moments later, Aquino was unbolting the flat tire. In a couple of minutes, the flat tire was replaced. Then without wasting time, Homer and the two Dagupan City cops were on their way back to Camanang.

"I think we should drop by at the barangay hall. I'm pretty sure Chairman Nikki is there. By now, he already knows what happened. It is probable that the tanods manning the checkpoint had already reported to him the incident," Homer suggested.

The two cops simply nodded their heads in agreement. The car took five minutes to take its passengers to the barangay hall. Homer, Viray and Aquino noticed some tanods chatting in front of the single- storey building. As soon as they alighted from the car, they proceeded to the office of Barangay Chairman Nick Narciso. They found him talking with Kagawad Macario. Obviously they were talking about the incident in the boundary. When Chairman Nikki saw them coming, he rose from his seat to meet them.

"I learned what happened, Amigo. That was unfortunate," he said.

"Nikki, can we have a word with you?" Homer asked.

"Well," Kagawad Macario stood, "I have to go now, Chairman." He bowed slightly as he passed by Homer, Viray and Aquino, "Gentlemen, if you will excuse me."

As soon as Kagawad Macario left, Homer and Viray took their seats in front of Chairman Nikki's desk. Aquino took another chair and placed it beside Viray.

"So what now, Homer?" Chairman Nikki took his seat behind his desk.

"Well, I...or rather, we have reason to believe that the Camba brothers and their companions were accomodated by someone in your barangay. And this someone might have warned them of our presence here," Homer explained.

"Wait a minute," Chairman Nikki remembered something, "some witnesses said that they saw a car coming from the southern part of Camanang. That's where my farm and resthouse are located. There's another house west of my resthouse owned by Anthony Galso. I think that's where they came from."