CHAPTER 26

May 1, 2082. About ten o'clock in the morning.

Major Dennis Obrero had been sitting at the entrance of the headquarters waiting for the arrival of Homer, Viray, Aquino, Lacerna and Santos. A few minutes later, he saw two cars entering the premises of the PNP Headquarters. He recognized the first car as the squad car driven by Lacerna. It was followed closely by Homer's car.

Once the two cars stopped in the parking lot, he saw Jonas pulling Anthony out of the car. Lacerna held Anthony's other arm. Both Jonas Santos and Reuben Lacerna sandwiched Anthony as they escorted him to the police station. Homer and the two Dagupan City cops followed them. Immediately, Major Obrero met the arriving party.

"So this is Galso. Take him to the interrogation room," he ordered. Then he said to Homer, "It's good that you got him Detective."

"Yeah. Thanks to Chairman Nick Narciso. It was he who found him," Homer informed Major Obrero.

"Okay, come," Major Obrero led Homer, Viray and Aquino to the interrogation room.

Meanwhile in Eastern Pangasinan Hotel, Vincent noticed that Victor had been unusually quiet during the better part of the morning. Vincent knew his brother; if he was acting the way he was acting now, there were two possibilities: either something was bothering him or her was up to something. If he was up to something, he would have told him. Hence, Vincent concluded that something was bothering his brother. He had to know.

"Hey, bro," Vincent tapped Victor's shoulder, "are you okay? You've been quiet the whole morning. What's eating your goat?"

"I'm thinkin' of the lie Anthony told to Almendares, and it doesn't sit well with me," Victor sighed,followed with a blank stare at the wall.

"What lie?" Vincent stared at his brother.

"Well, Anthony told Almendares that a certain Vicente Combis owned the rest house. You know damn well that there is no Vicente Combis in Bued. If Almendares would check—and I'm sure he would—he would find out that there's no really Vicente Combis. I don't know where Anthony got that goddamned name."

"Maybe it just crossed his mind when Almendares was questioning him," Vincent offered the possible explanation, "So what are we going to do then?"

"I'm thinking of the possibility of getting him here," Victor said.

"But," Vincent objected, "isn't that risky? If Almendares finds out that Anthony lied to him, surely he would hunt Anthony. And if he gets him, he, Almendares would subject him to intense interrogation. Now, we know Anthony. He's a guy who easily succumbs to pressure. Put him under pressure and he would sing like a canary."

Victor was silent for a moment. Again he was in deep thought. His brother was right. There's the possibility that Almendares had made a check, and right now he might have learned that Vicente Combis is nonexistent. Perhaps at this very moment, Almendares is out looking for Anthony, of course with the help of the Urdaneta police, and the Camanang tanods. In other words, there's the possibility that Anthony iwas now the subject of manhunt.

"I think I'll try to call him," Victor picked up his cellphone on the table and started dialing Anthony's number.

"Yeah, you'd better be," Vincent agreed, "if that will calm you down."

Meanwhile, Anthony was now taken into the interrogation room. The squarish room had no window and its only ventilation was a huge ceiling fan that rotated slowly. There was a table in the midst. Anthony was seated on one side of the table. Homer was seated in front of him. Major Obrero stood near the door watching the proceeding.