CHAPTER 29

It was now the evening of May 2, 2082. Glenn's guest started to pour in. Barangay Chairman Simon Mayo, his councilmen, close friends and relatives were already in the richly decorated reception hall. The VIP's had not yet arrived though. But at about eight, they started to arrive. First to arrive was Vice Governor Orly Calderon. He was escorted by his ten fully armed bodyguards. Glenn and Myra ushered him in to the brightly decorated spacious reception hall. Cheerfully, he introduced Myra to the Vice Governor.

"It's my honor to meet you Madam Buencamino," Vice Governor Calderon took and kissed Myra's hand. It was indeed a show of chivalry on the part of the Vice Governor.

Vice Governor Calderon, accompanied by Myra, went around the hall to shake hands with the other guests: Barangay Chairman Simon Mayo of Kisikis and his six councilmen, Richard, Glenn's brother and some close friends of the Buencaminos.

"Please, this way Vice Governor," Glenn led Vice Governor Calderon to a richly adorned presidential table overlaid with delicious foods and drinks. Uniformed maids were lined along the wall ready to do the bidding of the VIPs.

The Vice Governor had barely seated when Governor Menandro Mendoza and his entourage arrived. The Governor was accompanied by his chief of staff Michael Sandoval, and a dozen of fully armed bodyguards.

Glenn, Myra, Richard, Vice Governor Calderon, Barangay Chairman Simon Mayo, and the six councilmen stood and warmly met the newly arrived VIPs.

"Welcome Governor!" Glenn extended his arm to have a hand shake with Governor Mendoza. Myra and Vice Governor Calderon took turns in shaking hands with the Governor and his chief of staff. After the usual exchanges of pleasantries, Glenn, Myra and Vice Governor Calderon escorted the newly arrived guests to the presidential table. However, the governor went around the hall, too and shook hands with the other guests, just like what the vice governor did. After this, Governor Mendoza and his chief of staff were escorted to the presidential table.

As soon as everyone was comfortably seated, Glenn took the floor and delivered his short welcome speech. He began, "To our honored guests, Vice Governor Orlando Calderon, Governor Menandro Mendoza, Kisiskis Barangay Chairman Simon Mayo and his councilmen, friends, ladies and gentlemen, good evening and happy fiesta to all of you. In behalf of my family, my wife Myra, my brother Richard and my three children Glenn Junior, Henry David, and Beatrice, I welcome you all to my humble abode. Enjoy the food, enjoy the night and have fun. Thank you very much."

Amid the warm applause, Glenn walked to his place of the presidential table, took his glass, raised it and said, "Let me propose a toast."

Everyone in the hall took his glass and raised it. Then Glenn said, "To our good health and to our success come May 11, the election day."

Governor Mendoza made a rejoinder, "To Glenn's victory in the forthcoming congressional election. Don't forget him, and of course, me and Vice Governor Calderon."

The whole reception hall was filled with thunderous applause and cheerings from the guests. Glenn was beside himself with joy because of the support given to him by Mendoza, Calderon and his townmates. But Myra was uneasy, and her uneasiness did not escape the attention of Governor Mendoza. The latter thought that Myra was perhaps a little bit tired, for she had to spearhead the preparation for the soiree.

"Are you okay, Madam? You look tensed." The governor asked.

Myra Buencamino smiled, "I'm okay, Governor. It's just that I'm a little bit conscious of the way we prepared for this occasion. I hope I didn't lack anything."