CHAPTER 12

At midday of April 26, SPO1's Christopher Viray and Samson Aquino started their stake out on Leonard Regidor. They drove to Aguinaldo Street, Mayombo where Regidor lived. They chose a spot where there were no houses standing. The spot was far enough from Regidor's house so as not to be noticed by Regidor himself, but close enough to monitor the going in and out of Regidor or any visitor that may happen to visit their subject. Both cops stayed inside their car.

"Hey, Viray. Do you think he is at home?" asked Samson Aquino.

"It's past 12 o'clock noon, so he must be there eating his lunch, or is having his siesta," Christopher Viray said. He looked at his watch—it's 12:33.

"Speaking of siesta," Aquino yawned, "I feel like having a nap."

"Well, you can have your forty winks. I'll watch," Viray said.

Aquino dosed for about 20 minutes while Viray never took his eyes off from Leonard Regidor's house. So far the house was quiet. No visitor came, and Leonard never came out. Then a woman came knocking on Regidor's door. The woman must be in her early thirties, and about five feet and six or seven inches tall. Viray noticed that the woman was good-looking. The door opened and Regidor came out. He spoke to the woman for a couple of seconds. Then the woman left. Once again, Regidor closed the door, and the house was quiet once more.

When Aquino woke up, he asked, "Any development, partner?"

"Nothing, except a woman came knocking on Regidor's door. Probably a neighbor. That's all," Viray replied.

The two cops were quiet for a while, their eyes focused on Regidor's house. At about 2 o'clock in the afternoon, they saw Regidor go out and walk to a nearby store. Then he returned to his house, his hand holding what it looked like a pack of cigarette. A few minutes later, the same woman whom Viray noticed earlier came knocking on Regidor's door. Regidor opened the door, and the woman went in. Once again, the door was closed.

Viray grinned maliciously, "Damn that son of a bitch. He's having his good time now."

"You can say that again!" Aquino laughed.

"The woman's gotta look, and a great body," Viray commented.

"Uhum," Aquino nodded in agreement.

Again the two cops were quiet. After less than two hours, the woman came out of the house followed by Leonard. He pulled the woman's hand, drew her closer to him, then kissed her. The woman was giggling as she pushed Leonard gently away. Then she left, while Leonard went back to the house. They saw the woman moved away until she turned right to a street not far from Leonard's house. Viray and Aquino looked at each other then shifted their gaze back to Leonard's house. It was almost five in the afternoon.

"Well, shall we report to Detective Almendares what we saw, partner?" Samson Aquino ashed.

Christopher Viray just shook his head and said, "I don't think so. Leonard fucking a woman is inconsequential."

"Yeah, you're right," Aquino agreed.

They continued their monitoring of Leonard's movement. For the past few hours, no significant event happened. It was already dark, but they could still see clearly their subject's house. Thanks to the brilliant street light near Leonard's gate. Christopher Viray suggested Samson Aquino to stay a while and continue the watch while he, Viray drove to a nearby Jollibee food chain to buy some food for their dinner. Samson agreed.

"Just make it quick, Partner. I'm starving," he said.

"I'll be back in no time at all," Viray assured him, then off he went.

During the same time, back in their room with Myra, Attorney Glenn Buencamino reflected the ensuing events on that particular day of April 26. After his campaign in Barangay Anulid in the morning, he and his convoy drove to Barangay Laoac, and met with the Barangay Chairman Adolf Lascuna and the barangay kagawads (barangay councilors). He was happy that the barangay council pledged their full support for his candidacy. Barangay Chairman Lascuna even addressed him "Congressman." As soon as he arrived home in Patalan Subdivision, he received a phone call from Detective Homer Almendares. The detective informed Glenn of the progress of his investigation, especially the result of his trip to Dagupan City.

Glenn remembered himself commending Homer's effort, "Nice work, Detective. I hope that you will finally catch Casimero's killers."

Not that he cared for Casimero, but that because his own skin was in grave danger. True, he had a battalion of paid bodyguards, some of them were former militarymen, but Myra was still jumpy for fear of her husband's life.

Myra came in and sat beside him on their bed.

Glenn said, "I think Detective Almendares is gaining headway in his investigation."

"Oh, that's great," she exclaimed.

"I hope he will get those bastards before they get me," Glenn sighed.

"He will," Myra assured him.

Then Glenn lay on the bed and said, "Let's go to sleep. I'm damn tired today."

As she lay down Glenn embraced her. Then she felt Glenn's hardness. Glenn kissed her neck passionately.

"I thought you were tired," Myra whispered. Then she felt Glenn's hand caressing her soft body.

Yes, I'm tired but not for this," Glenn kissed Myra's neck.

"Do you have the energy?" Myra giggled.

"Well, honey, a good sex is the best stress reliever," and Glenn kissed Myra's lips.

It was such a night for Glenn, but not for Viray and Aquino. It was extremely a hot summer night of April. To get some fresh air, they had to get out of their car. The car had aircon, but being cramped inside the car for many hours was agonizing for the two Dagupan City cops. But outside the car, they found another enemies, mosquitos.

"Damn mosquitos!" Viray cursed.

"I think I'd rather stay inside the car," Aquino remarked and went back into the car. Viray had no other option but to do the same.

The two cops alternately slept. Viray took the first watch, while Aquino slept. At twelve o'clock midnight, it was Viray's turn to catch some sleep. So far no interesting event that took place. It was the longest night for Viray and Aquino.