CHAPTER 15

It was almost eleven o'clock when Homer's phone rang. Only the caller's number appeared on his cellphone's screen. That must be SPO3 Alexander de Vera, Homer thought. And he was right. De Vera, who was then passing through Barangay Licsi, Manaoag, was asking Homer's location. Homer told him where he was using Manaoag Restaurant as his reference point.

SPO3 Alexander de Vera was in his late thirties. Despite his age, he had a boyish face. At first glance, one would think that he was a businessman especially when he was not in uniform. He used his looks to his own advantage during his undercover assignments. Like Homer, De Vera had the ability to blend with people around him. He could be anybody, a skill he developed through the years as cop. Now, his mettle would be tested again.

It didn't take long before he found Homer and the two Dagupan City policemen. He parked his black Terrano van just in front of Homer's car. A couple of minutes later, De Vera came out of the van, donning the uniform of an employee of Manaoag Hotel. He was carrying a small bag where he put the bugging device.

"SPO3 De Vera I suppose?" Homer asked as De Vera bent over to introduce himself.

"Yes, Sir. Am pleased to meet you, Sir," De Vera replied. He looked inside the car and greeted Viray and Aquino.

"Get in," Homer opened the right front door of his car to allow De Vera in. Homer looked at De Vera's uniform, and asked, "Where did you get that uniform?"

"It's my cousin's uniform. He works in that hotel," was De Vera's reply.

"Your cousin, huh?" Homer just smiled for he knew for sure that the "cousin was non-existent. Homer perfectly understood that people like him and De Vera who were engaged in undercover business must be resourceful at all times. That means that they should always have the appropriate props needed for their activity.

"By the way, meet SPO1's Christopher Viray and Samson Aquino," Homer introduced to De Vera the two cops from Dagupan City." Then he introuduced them to De Vera, Boys, meet SPO3 Alexander de Vera of the Calasiao PNP. He is here to assist us in our activity."

"So, you have now the bug, De Vera?" Homer spoke to De Vera.

"It's perfectly ready for planting, Sir," De Vera nodded.

"Then let's do it," Homer said.

Immediately De Vera got out of the car and said, "Yeah. It's planting time!"

He walked back to his van to get his other props. With his back to Homer, Homer could clearly read the word "ELECRICAL" printed in big black letters on the back of the uniform. When De Vera finally re-emerged from his van, Homer noticed that a pack of electrical tools was strapped around De Vera's waist.He dug into his uniform's pocket and brought out a Manaoag Hotel ID and wore it around his neck. Then he casually walked in the direction of the hotel. Alexander De Vera was now Manaoag Hotel electrician. Homer watched him walk away and muttered, "Some cop."

Homer looked at his watch; it was almost 11:30, almost lunchtime.

"Why don't you, guys, go that restaurant and grab a bite? It's almost lunchtime," Homer told

Viray and Aquino.

"How about you, Sir?" asked Aquino.

"I'll keep the watch while you eat. I'll have my lunch when you get back. Now, go," Homer pointed to the Manaoag Restaurant just nearby.