CHAPTER 25

Anthony Galso didn't sleep well the night before because of the constant attacks of mosquitoes on him. The night was hot, but he had no other option but to cover his whole body with a blanket to protect himself from the blood-sucking insects. It was very uncomfortable for him, but he did not have any choice. If only he had flashlight, he could go back to the rest house and have a good night sleep there. Then he remembered Lakay Berong (Old man Berong) who lived nearby. His house was just a few meters away from the hut he was occupying.

"Maybe he has flashlight that I can borrow," he thought.

And that exactly what Anthony did. He walked southwest until he reached the house of the old man who was busy sweeping his front yard.

"Good morning, Uncle Berong," he greeted the old man.

Old Berong stopped what he was doing, "Hey, Tonio, ania't masapol mo? (What do you want?)

"Do you have a flashlight, Uncle?"

"Yes. Do you want to borrow it?" Old Berong said.

"If you will lend it to me," Anthony smiled.

"Of course. Wait for a while and I'll get it," the old man turned to his house to get the flashlight.

When Old Berong handed Anthony the flashlight, the latter courteously took his leave.

Now Anthony could go back to the rest house tonight. He planned to return the borrowed flashlight the following morning. He was happy of having the prospect of sleeping comfortably on his bed tonight.

That same moment, Homer was on his way to the Urdaneta PNP headquarters to see Major Obrero for the purpose of requesting five pairs of night goggles. It's now May 1, two days to go before the campaign rally. He must find Anthony for questioning because there was the possibility that he knew where Victor, Vincent, Leonard, Rodrigo and Merly were. The sooner he got Anthony, the better. He also hoped against hope that Glenn would change his mind. That would lessen his problem—at least.

After a couple of minutes, Homer found himself walking to the office of Major Dennis Obrero. Apparently, the major had just arrived. He was about to take his seat behind his desk when he spotted Homer coming.

"Ah, Detective Almendares. Good morning," he greeted Homer with arms open.

"Good morning Major," Homer reached for Major Obrero's right hand.

Major Dennis Obrero offered a seat in front of his desk, and asked while he himself took his seat behind his desk, "So what happened yesterday? You and my cops did not return."

"We did not find Galso. I think he got scared by our questioning. Probably he feared that we might come back for him, so he stayed away from the rest house. Believing that he would return when it got dark, we kept an eye on the house and its premises the whole night from a nearby hut owned by Chairman Nikki. But it was too dark last night, and visibility was zero. Major, we need night goggles for our nightly stake out. Can you provide a pair for each one of us?"

"Okay. If that would help you, I will. How many are you, by the way?"

Homer replied, "There are five of us, Major."

"Okay, you got it," Major Obrero said.

"You know, Major, we are convinced that Anthony got scared, so he decided to quit the house during day time, and return in the evening when he thinks no one is watching him."