CHAPTER 23

Major Dennis Obrero had been the PNP Chief of Urdaneta for almost four years. He stood 6 feet and three inches tall. During his cadetship at Philippine National Police Academy, he was a member of the basketball team of the Academy. Playing point guard for his team, he led his school in winning five championship in the National Basketball League. He was the league's most valuable player three times and was a member of the mythical five six times. His illustrious carrer ended when he graduated from the Academy. He served in the intelligence unit of the Urdaneta PNP for 3 years until he was elevated to the position of Chief of Police in 2076.

Major Obrero was surprised to see Chairman Nikki and his companions coming to his office. The last time that he rubbed elbows with the Barangay Camanang's chairman was almost two years ago. But that was understandable because of the nature of their work. Both were public servants, and as such, they had no time for friendly socialization.

"Hey, compadre," he greeted as he met Chairman Nikki and his companions, "what a surprise! What brought you here?" Then he turned his attention to Homer and said, "Detective Almendares, how are you?"

Chairman Nikki looked at Major Obrero and then Homer, "You know each other?"

"Of course, compadre," Major Obrero said laughing, "Homer's reputation as a great detective goes beyond the borders of Pangasinan."

"Major, you're pulling my leg," Homer laughed. Then he introduced to the major Viray and Aquino, "by the way meet SPO1's Christopher Viray and Samson Aquino of PNP Dagupan."

"Nice meeting you, gentlemen. How's my dear friend Major Allan John?" Major Obrero said.

"You know our chief, Sir?" Viray asked.

"Of course. We always rub elbows whenever we have conferences," Major Obrero said. "Well, come, take your seats."

As soon as they were settled, Major Obrero asked, "So what can I do for you?"

It was Homer who explained the purpose of their visit. He began, "I'm sure that you're already familiar with the Julian Casimero murder case. I'm tasked to track down the killers, and with the help of Chief Inspector David Arceo, I was able to come up with suspects. Now, the same suspects are out to kill Attorney Buencamino. I have reason to believe that Victor and Vincent Camba are behind the killing. The motive of the killing is revenge."

"Revenge? For what?" Major Obrero asked.

"About ten years ago, Benjamin Camba, the youngest brother of Victor and Vincent, and another guy Leandro Buya were charged of murdering Teodoro Climaco, owner of a casino in Dagupan. Buya was represented by Attorney Buencamino, while Benjamin Camba took Attorney Casimero as his defense counsel. Unfortunately, they lost their case. The Regional Trial Court of Dagupan found them guilty of murder and meted them a life sentence. The Cambas thought that Buencamino and Casimero that they did not do their best in defending their clients. They accused them for accepting bribe from the plaintiff in order to deliberately lose their case. So the Cambas wanted revenge for what they thought as the unjustifiable incarceration of Leandro and Benjamin."

"And you think that these bastards are here in Urdaneta?" Major Obrero asked.

"Actually, I'm coming to that," Homer replied, "Now let me continue. We were able to track down the whereabouts of the Cambas. They, and two other people, have checked in at Manaoag Hotel. Through the help of SPO3 Alexander De Vera, we were able to monitor their movement by planting a bug in their room. Through the bug, we were able to hear their plan of killing Attorney Buencamino. We were about to make an arrest, but the bastards managed to slip away. De Vera triangulated their whereabouts, and we found out that they escaped to Camanang. We believe that someone accomodated them there, and we also believe that this someone had warned them about our presence in that barangay. That's why they managed to escape again. We identified that someone as Anthony Galso. When we questioned him, I detected lies in his answers. He seemed to be hiding something. Now we want to pick him up for further interrogation, but we can't do it because Urdaneta is not within our jurisdiction. That's why we came to you for assistance."