CHAPTER 8

Back to his office, Homer analyzed the current status of the case. He took his note pad and wrote some questions, and after each question was a probable answer.

Question1. Does Drigo Mangahas have something to do with Conrado's murder?

Answer: Probably yes.

Question 2. Is Drigo connected with Victor and Vincent Camba?

Answer: Probably yes.

Question 3. So, are the murders of Casimero and Conrado related?

Answer: Probably yes.

Question 4. In what way?

Answer: Conrado's motorbike was used by the killers (of Casimero).

These questions were Homer's basis in gathering facts and evidences. He reasoned out that if he got Drigo and proved that Drigo had connection with Victor and Vincent, then he could crack the Casimero murder case, and eventually save Glenn Buencamino's skin. Conrado's motorcycle could be the key to the solution of the case.

Now to show the connections of the people involved in the case, Homer sketched the following diagram: Two rectangles were drawn. One rectangle contained Casimero's name; the other contained Manansala's. Both were marked Murder Victim. Beneath Casimero's rectangle was another rectangle bearing the names of Victor and Vincent. A line also connected Casimero's rectangle and the Camba brothers' rectangle. Beside the Camba brothers' rectangle and just beneath Manansala's rectangle was another rectangle bearing the name of Drigo Mangahas. Drigo's rectangle was connected to the Camba brothers' and Manansala's rectangle with lines. Finally, Drigo's rectangle was also connected to Casimero's. Thus, all four rectangles were interconnected.

As Homer studied intently the diagram, the more he was convinced that somehow Drigo Mangahas had a connection with the Casimero murder and that Manansala's motorcycle was the link between Drigo and the Camba brothers. Homer argued that if he got Drigo, then everything would fall into place. So the first step in solving the case was to track down Drigo. If Homer could prove beyond any iota doubt that Drigo was working for Victor and Vincent (as a runner, most probably), then it would be easier for him to get the Camba brothers, most especially if Drigo would sing like a canary!

He took his phone out of his pocket and dialed David Arceo's number. After four or five rings, Arceo's voice came through, "Hello, Homer. What's up, Buddy?"a'

"Can you do me favor?" Homer said.

"Sure. What's that?" David asked.

"Can you locate the whereabout of this guy Drigo Mangahas. I think he's from Calasiao."

"What about this guy?" David again asked.

"Remember the Manansala guy who was murdered in April 7 and whose motorcycle was found abandoned in a ricefield?" Homer answered David's question with a question.

"Yeah, I remember him. Does this Drigo guy have to do with Manansala's murder?"

"Well, I've talked to Manansala's wife, and she told me that a few days before her husband's murder, Drigo called him on purpose of renting Manansala's motorcycle because some friends of his were looking for a motorcycle to rent. Apparently, Manansala refused, most probably because he smelled something fishy. Then on the morning of April 7, Drigo called Manansala again, making the same offer. Of course, Manansala turned down the offer. Their conversation was recorded in Manansala's cellphone." Homer explained.