CHAPTER 18

Homer woke up the following morning fully refreshed. After having his breakfast of eggs, fried rice and hot chocolate, he took a quick shower, got dressed, and drove to Villasis PNP. He was surprised to see Viray and Aquino already in his office. They had been there since six o'clock in the morning. Viray was sipping a copy he ordered earlier from a nearby coffee shop while Aquino was reading the early morning news.

"You're here already? I haven't talked to your chief yet," Homer said.

"We've already asked permission from Major Surat, and he said yes," it was Viray who spoke.

"And who's gonna do the paper works since you're out?"

Aquino put down the newspaper he's holding on Homer's desk, "There are five police internees, Sir, and two of them will be detailed in the headquarters."

Homer took his seat behind his desk and explained to Viray and Aquino their next move. Homer knew that Camanang was new to the two Dagupan City PNP, so he had to orient them about the barangay. Camanang was an interior barangay, about thirty-minute drive from the city proper of Urdaneta. He told them that Camanang was a quiet place, where most of the residents were farmers. The people themselves were friendly and very hospitable. Since Camanang was an interior barangay, there were parts of it that were suitable hiding places.

"Our first step is to contact Nick Narciso, the barangay chairman. He has to be informed of our purpose so that he would know what to do. This way, we can solicit his assistance," Homer explained.

"So, when do we start, Sir?" Viray asked.

"Well, we go to Camanang now. We will use my car. Hopefully, we shall be there at about eight-thirty. So, if you, boys, are ready, let's start our journey now."

"We are absolutely ready, Sir," the two cops were excited of the prospect of chasing criminals. They were excited because they would be doing a real police work. Of course, Christopher Viray and Samson Aquino knew that they were in to a tough and challenging job, but it's all worth it. Indeed, that would make them real cops!

Minutes later, the three law enforcers were negotiating the MacArthur Highway en route to Urdaneta City. Upon reaching Nancayasan, Urdaneta, they turned East and drove along the road leading to Barangay Camanang. Once in a while, they met some tricycles on their way to the city proper. As they went along, they passed by some farms already planted with corn. Some farms, however, were planted with rice. It was the usual view as one traveled to an interior barangay. A few minutes later, they reached Barangay Camanang. It was not difficult for them to find the barangay chairman's house. In the Philippines, almost all the residents of every barangay knew the residence of their chairman. Only the new settlers and visitors didn't know.

Chairman Nick Narciso's house was one of those typical houses in every barangay: concrete-made and single storey. Nick was of medium-built with very jolly character. At sixty-two, he was the oldest barangay chairman in Urdaneta. As he had promised when he was campaigning, he served Camanang in full dedication. He was always working for the improvement of his barangay. Fondly called Chairman Nikki by his constituents, he was now on his third term as barangay chairman. Much was the desire of his constituents to elect him for a fourth term, but the Local Government Code allowed only a maximum of three terms for any elective local government official from the governor down to the barangay officials. Each term had a duration of three years.

When Homer, Viray and Aquino got out of their car just in front Chairman Nikki's gate, the chairman immediately recognized Homer. He waved happily at Homer as he walked briskly to meet his guests.