16. Let him out...

A faint thump pulled Zhan out of sleep. It was extremely light but to his shifter senses it was a noise nonetheless and Zhan's eyes fluttered open. His heart raced and his body stiffened but he didn't turn around thinking it would alarm whoever had come inside. Zhan calmed himself and took a deep breath surprised by the rich scent of sandalwood permeating the room. "Yibo?", he called turning around but who he saw was not Yibo the man but Yibo's wolf. The big, pure white form of pure muscle and deadly power was just two steps away from Zhan's bed and crouching low in an aggressive posture, as if preparing to lunge on Zhan. Zhan's brows furrowed and his hand went to his lamp but Zhan assumed the animal wouldn't like being blinded by the bright light. His own wolf held aversion to the bright bulbs in Zhan's room. Zhan sat up thinking of going to the snow white monstrosity but to his shock the wolf snarled, taking a step back. "You don't want me to come near you?" Zhan stilled, hurt by the wolf's soft growl of agreement. Zhan had never faced rejection from Yibo's wolf before. Never. Infact, Yibo's wolf had always been needy when it came to Zhan. He would plop right before Zhan after a long run expecting Zhan to comb through his fur and scratch behind his ears. All sorts of pleased growls left the wolf at Zhan's touch so Yibo's rejection hurt. Really bad. Zhan stared at the wolf before him letting out a deep sigh and propped up on the headboard thinking the wolf will leave at his own accord. He kept his eyes trained on the animal and very slowly the wolf took a step forth, rounding Zhan's bed. The white wolf would sniff, take a step back then sniff again and turn to stare at Zhan. Zhan was perplexed by the strange behavior but he chose to stay quiet and let the wolf do his own thing.

The wolf sniffed every nook and cranny in Zhan's room and when he reached Zhan's bedpost Zhan frowned. "I don't care about whatever you are planning to do here so late but don't you dare piss on my bed, baby lion." The endearment fell of Zhan's lips with no effort and the wolf barked out a low growl. Zhan heard the familiar sound and a smile came on his lips. Yeah. The wolf didn't like being called a baby lion. Or atleast he pretended not to like it. It wasn't lion but the word  "baby" the wolf miffed at but Zhan  hadn't changed the name knowing Yibo secretly liked it. Yibo's wolf used to growl and nip at Zhan playfully whenever Zhan addressed him by the name, a memory Zhan cherished above all. "Don't pretend your furry ass isn't going soft at the words. Now, want to tell me what's happening? Why are here so late?" The wolf whined again and almost instantly the room started reeking of fear and anger, the scent so strong  that Zhan's heart started thundering in his chest. Zhan felt the two emotions as if they were his own but all too soon, Yibo had blocked his emotions from Zhan again. "What happened to you, Yibo?", Zhan asked knowing all too well that the wolf couldn't answer him. The wolf whined in frustration and Zhan tried to get up but the wolf snarled at him again, this time in warning. "Please, I want to help." Zhan spoke softly not caring that he sounded like he was begging and saw the wolf saunter to the room's corner towards one of the chairs and drag one of Zhan's hoodies back. Zhan's gaze was pinned on Yibo as the wolf dropped the hoodie near Zhan's bed and buried his face under it, clearly scenting Zhan. A pleased growl left the wolf and the animal lay down, getting comfortable at Zhan's bedroom floor and all too soon his breathing evened out. Zhan waited for further movements but nothing happened. His hearing telling him that Yibo's wolf had gone to sleep and Zhan didn't have the heart to wake him up. He covered himself with the blanket and lay down, his room smelling of a heady mixture of sandalwood, chocolate, his own scent and Zhan went off to sleep.

"Don't you want to stay there for a few days first?", Zhan questioned softly and Wei Wei zipped up the last bag, laughing. "It's almost like you don't want me to leave, Zhan-ge." Of course, Zhan didn't. Wei Wei had been living at the shelter for a year. She was the little sister Zhan never had so clearly he really didn't want her to leave. Wei Wei saw what Zhan was thinking because it was written all over his face and smiled. "Didn't you tell me it will be good for me to join the pack?" Yeah, Zhan had. But, that didn't mean Zhan wanted her to go. Wei Wei had not been a loner her entire life. She had grown up with her family, friends and it was a struggle for her to adjust to the loner lifestyle. Even at Hope she had found people she cared about so she had adjusted but while Zhan, Lei and Fang could give Wei Wei a family, Hope was far off from being a pack. "All I want to say is that you don't have to rush into things. I know the major reason of you agreeing to this is that Chang Xia might spare Hope. All I am saying is that don't worry about anything else. Xiao Wei, the moment you feel that you don't like living there, give me a call. Gege will bring you back, okay?" Zhan's gaze was expectant and Wei Wei nodded her head. "I will, Zhan-ge." The girl smiled but this time there were tears glistening in her eyes. "Why are you crying?", Zhan asked and the girl broke into sobs. "T-Thank you, Zhan-ge. If you hadn't found me that day, I might have died. You have done so much for me. I just don't know if I will ever be able to repay you." A lump of emotions was lodged in his Zhan's throat but he still smiled. "You don't have to thank me, Xiao Wei. Everyone here saw you and they saw someone they could love, care for and spoil. You earned their care and I will never expect you to be thankful for it. What I do expect is for you to try your best and be good at Wang territory." "I will. Yibo-ge is scary", she said after a long moment and a laugh escaped Zhan. "He isn't scary. He is trying to keep you safe." "You aren't scared of him at all", Wei Wei commented with awe and Zhan pursed his lips. Wei Wei was right. Zhan was not afraid of Yibo. Maybe because at a deeper level Zhan knew that the Wang Alpha was still the man Zhan had spent most if his life with. That kind of trust didn't just vanish.

"Can I make a request, Zhan-ge?", Wei Wei asked in a  small voice and Zhan encouraged her.  "Anything." "Can you come with me and A-Fang to the Wang territory today? Lei told me he would go with me if you are busy but I will feel better if you come with me. I want you to be there with me and Yibo-ge isn't as scary when you are around him. Please?" Zhan had no idea why he hesitated. It was totally normal for Wei Wei to want Zhan with her but Zhan didn't agree immediately. Zhan might have known Yibo but the Wang pack was still unknown territory. 'Yet you are ready to send Wei Wei there' , came a voice from inside him and Zhan internally sighed. Zhan knew Yibo could keep Wei Wei safe. He knew he could trust Yibo. Out of all the other packs Zhan could send Wei Wei to, the Wang Pack was the strongest and the safest one. Yibo was someone Lei and Zhan trusted completely with Wei Wei so Wei Wei was also not as afraid considering she was joining another pack.  Zhan thought of that and he decided he would accompany Wei Wei. He would see for himself that Wei Wei was comfortable and if he went to Wang territory he could ask Yibo what had happened last night. Zhan had woken up this morning but Yibo wasn't in his room and Zhan's missing hoodie was the only thing that told Zhan he hadn't imagined the entire thing.  "Okay. I will come with you. Finish packing, I will bring the car."

Yibo eyed his phone, a small smile making its way on his face along with a bit a nervousness. Lei had texted Yibo that Zhan and Wei Wei were going to come to his territory today. Unconsciously, Yibo's gaze slid over his office and the clearing surrounded by lush trees. He wondered if Zhan would like it. All these years Yibo had hoped to give his little wolf what he never had. He had found a place where Zhan could bloom, run freely and be himself without worries. But, now Yibo was worried if Zhan would like it. His wolf let out a growl too at the thought and Yibo told his beast that they could destroy everything Zhan didn't like. The wolf was finally satisfied and Yibo rolled his eyes. His wolf was in a good mood today and he knew it had everything to do with waking up surrounded by his Zhan's scent. Yibo knew for sure that if he let his wolf take control today the monstrosity would be wagging his tail all around the place. Yibo hadn't had a sleep so sweet in the last five years and it felt like he was finally alive. All because of his little wolf. A knock came on his door behind him bringing Yibo out of his thoughts and and when the door opened Yibo spoke evenly, keeping his excitement in check. "Xuan, tell everyone that a guest is coming today. Make sure the Alphas keep their hands to th-" Yibo stopped mid-sentence when he realised who was standing behind him. The scent of plum blossoms wafted in the air and the sweetness clinging to it made Yibo sick. "I told you you didn't have to do this anymore, Yu Qi." Yibo's voice had hardened by the end of his sentence and the young Omega's name escaped his mouth in a growl.

"You have been avoiding me, Alpha. I told you I wasn't afraid of you. You don't have to distance yourself from me." "I told you I didn't need this anymore. You've helped me enough." "Haoxuan-ge told me you haven't been sleeping well. He said you were gone the entire night yesterday. I know you worry about me but I am not afraid. You will never hurt me, I know you care for me, Yibo-" "Don't forget who I am, Xiang Yu Qi. I am the Alpha of this pack and I haven't given you the permission to address me by my name. I don't care for you. Don't make this anything other than it was. As far as our arrangement is concerned, I won't need your services anymore." Yibo turned around and found the girl staring at him with tears in her eyes and hurt on her face. "I have been by your side for almost five years, Alpha. You need my help and I am ready to do anything-" "I don't need anything from you. Stop wasting your time." It was a heartbeat later that the room filled with scent of plum blossoms and Yibo growled. Yibo's wolf reached to surface and Yibo shoved him down again knowing what the wolf wanted. "Don't be stupid, Yu Qi", Yibo snarled and the woman squared her shoulders taking a step towards Yibo. "I will become whoever you need, Yibo. You don't have to hold yourself back. If your wolf wants to claim someone, I'll be that person. So what if that Omega won't be yours. I am ready to live under his shadow for life. I can help you. It's okay, Yibo. Let your wolf out. Let him out, Alpha."