58. Come back to me...

Shifting his gaze from the feral wolf Zhan found most of his family and friends standing nearby. Their faces were grim with concern and wariness despite that they had almost won the battle. Their side had annihilated Chang Ming Jing's army in a span of an hour and a half but no one seemed to care about their victory. It was as if everything had come to a halt and all eyes were on Zhan and Yibo. Zhan had expected his wolf to be distraught. Any sane being would have been if he were in Zhan's shoes. The white monstrosity growling and snarling before him had managed to elicit fear in everyone surrounding Xiao Zhan. Zhan could taste the pungent fear on his tongue yet, his wolf was calm within him. The animal showed no signs of apprehension. Rather, there was distress rising within the beast with every moment that passed. Distress that was for his mate. Watching Yibo stare at him without recognizing him was worse than anything Zhan had ever experienced. Maybe if it was hate, Zhan would have been able to come to terms with it. But seeing the other half of his soul gaze at him with indifference was the worst suffering he had had to endure.

Xiang Yuqi had doubled her efforts to keep Yibo's attention on her. Her incessant cries and the imitation of Zhan's scent were so intense that Zhan's temples were throbbing. "Kill him! Save me, Yibo. He will hurt me!" Haoxuan wrenched the woman's arm behind her back making her cry even louder and the white wolf crouched low ready to lunge. The Primary Omega's golden gaze was locked onto Yibo's wild ones daring the Alpha to take another step further. The wolf must have sensed the challenge because he licked his fangs jamming the air with his dominant vibes. Like always Zhan's neck was bared in submission but it wasn't enough to bring back his mate. Xiao Zhan knew others expected him to be furious. How could one not be angry when their mate failed to recognize them? How could their blood not boil when their fated one was moments away from ripping their throat out? Zhan had every right to be angry but surprisingly, he wasn't anymore. Red-hot rage had burned through him at the sight of Yibo protecting Yuqi but slowly his anger had left him and hurt had taken root in his body. He was hurting. Badly. Hurting because he could sense how deeply Gu Yinjun had terrorized his mate. Hurting because even their bond had not made his Baby lion feel safe. "Think of how Gu Yinjun treated you, Alpha! Who can love us after what we went through? You are broken! All of us are! Xiao Zhan will never accept you!! He is scared of you! He doesn't understand you! He never will!"

Barks erupted at her words and the white wolf's fur rose in aggression. Zhan could feel his mate slipping away from him. Could see the Alpha surrendering to his worst fears but he stood strong. "She is lying. I have never admired another Alpha as much as I admire you. I loved you five years ago and I love you now", he began placing his hand on the wolf's snout despite the fierce growl that tore through Yibo's throat. "Don't let them take you away from me."
The wolf caught Zhan's wrist in his mouth despite the plea, biting, drawing blood. "You aren't broken, Baby lion. You are the bravest wolf I know. You avenged him. When my Yibo's human self was not strong enough to defend himself, you helped him at your own expense. I can't imagine how much you suffered at his hands, Baby lion. But, you survived. You came back here to me and that's all that matters. Don't go back to that place again." Sweat beaded on Zhan's forehead as Yibo's fang sank deeper into his flesh. He stepped forward disregarding the calls of his name behind him, eyeing the visible darkening of Yibo's crimson eyes. Zhan trusted Yibo more than he trusted himself. No matter how perilous his situation seemed to be, Zhan knew in his soul that Yibo wouldn't hurt him. Yibo couldn't.

"You are stronger than anyone I know. Nothing can break you, Wang Yibo. I don't care what others believe. I know you are there...listening to me. He didn't break you. You saved yourself and so many others. No matter which parts of you came back to me, I'll keep them. All of you is mine, Baby lion. All of you. There's no part of you that I don't love. I love you. You have to know that." Tears obscured Zhan's vision but he held on. "I know it's hard but you need to let go of this fear. No one will hurt you. You are safe with me." The wolf growled against his flesh and steel bled into Zhan's words as his eyes flashed golden. "I won't let anyone hurt you. You are mine. Mine to love and mine to protect. I'll keep you safe. Just come back to me. Your little wolf needs you." It seemed that the words had no effect on the Alpha before Xiao Zhan. The anger just kept building in Yibo, making it harder for Zhan to reach him. A loud laugh echoed behind them causing Zhan's eyes to glow golden again. "He will never come back, Xiao Zhan. Never! Never! Your Alpha is dead. DEAD!!!! He will kill you too!" "No, he fucking won't", Zhan growled at Yibo causing the feral wolf's eyes to flicker. "I don't care how far gone you are. You said I was everything to you. You don't turn your back on someone you say that to. You will have to come back. You can't let your fears rule you. You can't let them rule us! Snap out of it, Wang Yibo!!!", Zhan boomed and ice made a home in Zhan's heart when Yibo's hackles rose.