001 | the news

The sound of rain pouring down onto windows might be one of Kallista's favourite things in life. The comfort of being inside as the world drowns outside makes her feel safe and at peace.

Kallista lives in a penthouse of a tall building in the very center of London. As most people hate living in the city because of the crowd and the constant noises, it is something she frantically enjoys. In the city of London, she can blend in and make herself small.

It's a Thursday afternoon. The sky is grey, raindrops are falling all over the town, but a few sun rays are trying to make their way through the clouds, hoping to illuminate the city a bit more.

Sitting on the window sill, her gaze is settled on two droplets of rain that have come to crash on the glass, now racing against each other.

The window being ajar, the wind caresses her cheeks, shivers arising on her spine. The tip of her forefinger traces the path of one of the droplets, letting the coldness of the glass hit her skin and a wave of chills coursing through her veins.

Kallista has the tendency of forgetting about the papers she is supposed to be working on whenever it rains—the rain always has her mesmerised and captivated. Aware of the depressing subject of her newest case, she had let her mind drift away for a fragment of a second—which in reality were a few minutes of distraction.

Focus, she tells herself, tearing her gaze away from the droplets of water to look down at the scattered rolls of parchment on both the windowsill and her lap.

Sometimes she wonders why she chose to be a lawyer. She could have become an Astronomy Professor since she loves the stars so much, or maybe a Healer since she adores helping people out.

But above all, she doesn't like injustice, and especially in the Wizarding World. She remembers assisting to Theodore Nott's trial after the battle of Hogwarts seven years ago. He was innocent—she knew it and yet his fate was to serve a sentence of a year in Azkaban all the whilst he didn't deserve it. That's when she decided to study International Magical Law.

She gets distracted — once again — but this time by a brown owl that has come to tap on another window by the living room with its beak, holding a letter that is now drenched in water.

"Damn it, Caramel." Kallista sighs, grabbing her stash of paper and throwing it on the desk before getting up to open the large window.

She crosses the living room with lazy steps, her slippers scratching against the wooden floor. As soon as she takes a hold of the drenched envelope, she winces.

"Who let you fly in this weather?" She asks, stepping to the side and allowing the owl to come into her flat.

The witch keeps a bowl full of treats for Caramel by the window. Offering him one, he gratefully takes it into its beak before letting out a soft cooing sound. In a blink of an eye, the bird flies back outside as though the rain had stopped pouring down.

She immediately recognises the handwriting even though it's smeared because of the rain.

"Of course, it's my mother."

She walks back to the comfortable window sill whilst muttering a Drying Charm over the letter. Thank Merlin for being a witch.

What could her mother possibly want on a Thursday evening? Carina, Kallista's mother, is the kind of person to stick to a planning all year long.

Carina never writes during the week, only on weekends, when she asks for her daughter to come over for tea.

My dearest Kallista,