002 | we meet again

Friday is usually Kallista's favourite day of the week. Friday means weekend, and weekend means either getting drunk or slouching on the couch for two days straight.

But Kallista isn't excited for the day to end. If she could avoid that "meeting" she has to attend, she'd do it in a heartbeat.

Earlier this morning, she ran into her twin brother as she walked into the Ministry of Magic. Finlay was wearing his Auror uniform, scowling at some lady who had spilled her tea all over the floor.

As soon as Finlay's eyes met Kallista's, a small grin of amusement drew itself on his lips. Kallista asked him if he knew anything about the meeting and all he said was no, before turning around with a mischievous smirk.

She knew Finn was lying.

Kallista has the biggest office in the Department of International Magical Law. Being on the last floor of the building, she has the ability to have a magnificent view of London Town. From up here, the world seems minuscule.

She closes her file and smiles at the woman sitting on the other side of her desk. "Ready for the trial?"

The woman nods. She's nervous. Kallista noticed the way she kept on fidgeting with the fabric of her sweater.

Tenderness is laced in her voice. "There's nothing to be nervous about. All you have to do is answer the questions. Just do like we practiced."

"Okay." The word comes out as a whisper. "Will you be there?"

Kallista emits a chuckle. "Of course."

Kallista's smile seems to ease the lady, as her shoulders slouch down and her face relaxes.

The door to her office opens. Kaïa Miller stands near the doorframe, hands clutching a stack of paperwork as she gives a smile to Kallista's client.

Kallista stands on her feet before shaking the woman's hand. "I'll see you on Monday in Court. 9 a.m., don't be late."

"I won't." The woman places her free hand over Kallista's, engulfing their handshake with warmth. "Thank you for everything, Miss Howard."

Kallista watches the woman leave with Kaïa before sitting back down on her chair, rubbing her temples. She closes her eyes for a few seconds before deciding she needs to eat something in order to keep going for the rest of the afternoon.

She hears Kaïa's heels click on the floor.

"Miller."

The blonde pops her head into the room. "Yes?"

"Lunch?"

Kaïa smiles and Kallista can't help but imitate her.

The pair walks down the street, wrapping their coats around their bodies as the wind blows. Kallista and Kaïa like to have lunch in a small café around the corner owned by muggles. They never cross paths with people working at the Ministry over there.

Kaïa went to Hogwarts with Kallista, although she was a year below the brunette. She wanted to follow Kallista's career path and when she graduated from school, Kallista took her under her wing as a paralegal.

She is now Howard's right hand—her assistant, and best friend.

They always sit at the same table in the very far corner of the restaurant, next to a window where they can watch people pass by.

Kallista glances at the menu, pretending to choose something to eat even though she already knows what she is going to settle for.

"There's a new muggle bar opening up in Soho tonight." Kaïa states, closing her menu. "I think we should go."