019 | the engagement party

It's a warm Saturday evening in the South of France when Draco knocks harshly on Kallista's bedroom door.

Much to his surprise, it didn't take too much effort into convincing the witch to marry him. Well, she didn't agree into taking the vow — it would have been too good to be true for her to admit she'd let herself fall for him.

Although, she did agree on having an engagement party, and that's more than enough for Draco to try and impress his superiors.

Despite all the anger, frustration, and annoyance Kallista feels for Draco, she knows how much this job offer means to him. And for him, she went all the way into renting a Château for the party.

"Don't make me come into the room, Howard." Draco groans, his forehead resting on the door as his knuckles place rhythmic knocks on the wooden door.

Draco has to breathe in deeply when he doesn't hear a response from the witch to keep his mind at peace and in a calm state.

Down the stairs, the guest are slowly starting to arrive one by one. Laughter and quiet chatter echo through the spacious, modern-looking yet dazzling castle.

What is taking Kallista so long? Has she slipped in the shower? Has she jumped out of the window and escaped? Is she simply laying in bed and avoiding the party she decided to throw?

"I'm going to kill her." Draco murmurs, leaning his forehead on his forearm which is resting just above his head. In a defeated manner, he keeps on knocking.

"Mister Malfoy?"

"What?" Draco's frustration can be sensed through this simple question. Turning around, he faces a young woman, dressed in a simple yet elegant black uniform, holding a tray with a single glass of red wine on it, "Can I help you, Mary?"

Mary nods shyly, a strand of brown hair falling over her right eye, "I was just bringing Miss Howard's beverage. She asked for it about twenty minutes ago, but I got caught up into organising the drinks stand, and your mother was looking for her dog, so—"

Draco lifts a hand up to prevent the young girl from continuing her sentence, "Take a breath, Mary." The brunette's chest heaves up and down as she stares up into Draco's eyes, "All good?"

She nods shyly again, "Yes. I apologise, Mister Malfoy. I just don't want Miss Howard to be disappointed," She inhales shakily, "I know how much this party means to her, and to you." She glances upwards to the ceiling as she seems to be thinking, as Draco crosses his arms over his chest, "Should I already call her Mrs. Malfoy? Or is it—"

"Mary." Draco says sternly, making her brown eyes lock to his. He extends his hand towards her, palm flat out, "Give me the tray. I'll give the drink to Kallista."

"But—" Mary's eyebrows furrow, a small crease appearing in between them, "I don't want to bother you, sir."

"How many times have I told you to call me Draco?" He inquires with an eyebrow arched, "Come on," He flicks his pointer and middle fingers, motioning for the young witch to hand him the glass of wine, "Give me that. And go get some fresh air before the party starts."

Handing him hurriedly the glass of Cabernet Sauvignon, she tucks the silver tray underneath her arm before nodding her head, her kind eyes flickering in between his, "Thank you, sir."

The blond rolls his eyes as he watches the young woman walk down the stairs in a fast pace. "It's Draco," he mumbles under his breath before bringing the glass of red to his nose.

Quickly passing his nose over the beverage, his eyebrows raise as the fruity smell wavers through his nostrils. Knowing all too well that he won't be able to go through the night without a drop of alcohol, he decides to take a sip of the drink.