004 | scared to fall for me?

Life isn't fair.

At least, Kallista never expected it to be. Sometimes she doesn't understand how innocent people end up being punished for a crime they didn't commit.

She has lost a few trials in the past few years. Sometimes you can be the best, and you can end up being the one losing in the end.

It happened an hour ago: her client got sent to Azkaban, and although Kallista managed to reduce her sentence to two years instead of four, she feels devastated nonetheless.

But life goes on.

Kallista likes to get some fresh air after a trial — wether if she won or lost. Sometimes, she would walk down the street and grab a coffee or pastry to go. Sometimes, like today, she would simply go out and sit on a bench, watching people walk by.

When she walks past Kaïa's desk, her friend stands up, offering her a cup of tea. "There's someone waiting for you." She motions with her chin towards Kallista's office.

A frown plasters the witch's face. "Who is it?"

Kaïa's mouth twists into a grimace, "The very last person you would expect to see."

When Kallista enters her office, Draco Malfoy is sitting on her chair, feet popped up onto the desk, flipping through a law book.

"What are you doing here?"

The blond looks up from the book as his eyes travel over Kallista's figure from head to toes. She's wearing a dark grey pencil skirt with its matching blazer. She's also wearing heels, making her look taller than she already is.

Draco closes the book with a thud, letting his eyes meet Kallista's. "Now, Miss Howard, is that a proper way to greet your future husband?"

Brows raised, she closes the door with a mere flicker of her fingers.

Wandless magic. Draco must say he is impressed. Only powerful witches and wizards can perform this kind of magic.

Frustration instantly kicks in. "Malfoy, you have exactly two seconds to take your feet off the table and have a seat on any other chair but mine." She says harshly, walking towards him.

"Or what?" He smirks, watching her come closer.

She doesn't miss a beat as she seethes, "Or I'll hex you myself onto that chair."

Draco raises his eyebrows. "Damn, Howard. It's only eleven and you're already feisty. What's gotten you in a mood like this?"

Kallista pushes Draco's feet off her desk and glares at him. He sighs loudly before standing up slowly. He hovers her by a few inches and looks down at her. He can see fire in her eyes and he wonders if his eyes hold the same emotion.

"Fine." He spits, breaking their eye contact before strolling to the other side of the desk. He sits down on the leather seat, locking his hands behind his head. Kallista notices he's still wearing his Auror uniform.

She sits down as well, unbuttoning her blazer. "I'm going to ask you this one more time: what are you doing here?"

Draco takes a paper out of the inside pocket of his vest and unfolds it before throwing it on the desk towards Kallista. She arches an eyebrow at him and takes a sip of her tea.

"Are you not going to offer me a drink?" He asks just as she grabs the paper to take a closer look at it.

"No."

His eyes roll, "Not surprising."

Kallista is holding onto a contract. Not the same as the one she signed three evenings ago at Malfoy Manor, but one involving only Kallista and Draco without their parents.