024 | distractions

"Congratulations."

Draco never thought he would ever hear Potter say this word to him.

Whirling around and locking his hands behind his back, he meets Harry's bright eyes and a faint smile draws itself on his lips.

"Thank you, Potter." Draco gives a sharp nod before raising his eyebrows in confusion, "But what are you congratulating me for?"

His teammate pats his back, "I've heard you and Kallista were ready to take The Vow." He glances up at Draco, "You know, at first I thought all of this was a joke — I was convinced you hated Kallista's guts—" The comment makes Draco snort, "But it must be serious since you both are taking The Vow."

After staring into those bright, enchanting blue eyes, filled with mischief and pride, Kallista had let her lips turn up into a satisfied grin. Just like a triumphant queen.

"Yes," she had simply said. Loud and clear for him to hear. Enough for him to let out the long breath had was holding in, enough for him to feel relieved.

Now, Kallista and Draco both wish to not be bound to life because of this Vow.

Despite everything they feel for one another — mostly lust and desire. Despite turning their darkest hours of the night into blissful pleasures, alone in their rooms, thinking of each other, and taking the time to gratify themselves with the help of their hands and fingers, thinking of the possibility that they could be bound forever is terrifying.

Hatred has somehow turned into lust. But lust could never turn into something more. No. They would never allow themselves to let that happen.

The Vow would never work, but it won't hurt them to try. All of this is for Draco's sake.

"Right," Draco grins, his dimple showing off, "Thank you, Potter. No worries, I'll make sure you can shine whilst you say your speech."

Harry rolls his eyes in amusement, "How thoughtful of you, Malfoy."

Once a year, Robards' team takes a stroll around Azkaban with Investigators. The Aurors answer questions about the Dark Wizards they caught.

Draco hates coming here. A single year spent in a cell was too much for him. All those memories are buried. But sometimes, they travel back to the surface of his mind, reminding him about the dark times of his past.

"I hate it here," Says Finlay from behind the pair.

He walks faster to be by Draco's side, ignoring the mocking look the latter throws at him.

"Is baby Howard scared?" Draco brings in lower lip out in a pout before slinging an arm around his friend's shoulder. Finn wriggles out of his teasing embrace, making Harry snicker at them.

"First of all," Finlay adjusts the collar of his red vest, holding his chin high, "I was born first. Kalli is baby Howard." He glares at the blond, who tries to keep his lips in a thin line, "Secondly, I am not scared."

"Whatever you say," Draco mumbles, coughing to hide the forming laugh.

Several pair of eyes are set upon the three Aurors walking behind two Investigators. Some inmates try to catch their attention by snickering, by commenting, but neither of them pay attention.

Until...

"How's your sexy little girlfriend doing?"

This voice. This man. The Wizard who has hurt Draco more than once, tried to kill him. The man who has dared to lay his filthy fingers on Kallista, who has tried to even kill her.