04 ⨳ new beginning

"can i ask? aside from what happened to you when you were raped, is there any other reason why you are so angry with yourself?" i continued, noticing the misery on her face; wait, did i go too far?

i ran out of things to say after "i mean you don't need to-" since chaeyoung interrupted what i was trying to say to her.

"it's fine; in fact, i feel sorry for my older brother because he is the one that receives the most support from my family; they care about him constantly and adore him for who he is."

"but then he eventually developed drug addiction, and my parents wanted him to get treatment solely for his heavy use. he was so furious that day when he learned what my parents were up to that he took a box and aimed it at them. when we found out he had a gun, i'm afraid what he did next but i stopped him, begging for mercy. otherwise, he would have killed them. he simply gave me a frigid stare that made me feel as though he wanted me to perish as well." she continues,

"we assumed he would depart because the following day he was no longer in his room and his possessions in the cabinet were also disappeared. my older brother used to be this happy, smart, cool-headed guy from our town before he lost his mind and became a burden on my parents and left us."

"everyone who knew him wanted to see him happy, but after meeting this girl-who had just moved with him into the house in front of us-everyone else stopped wanting that. my older brother fell in love with her, but she was unable to reciprocate his feelings. we initially believed they were a couple, but eventually realized she was merely using my elder brother." she scoffed as her eyes landed on me,

"she pretended to be playing with my older brother while actually using him for her own amusement. therefore, we were forced to confront her. we stated:
Why do you make use of my brother?;
don't you have any heart?;
who are you to use my son, huh? are you really that desperate? what kind of woman are you?"

"before my brother's brain exploded, the woman complained to him that we were harming her. and that's when he started to lose interest in them since he constantly returned home at midnight and was inebriated. he doesn't resemble the good-natured, upbeat sibling I grew up with, as if he vanished overnight. and that's all!" chaeyoung simply chuckled as she continued to express her dissatisfaction through tears.

she questioned directly, "you, what's your story." "my life? No, it's not that great,"

chaeyoung waggles her eyebrows, "then tell me, are you heartbroken?"

"for your information, i have never experienced love." i declared to her, "eh? you? with that face? never?" i responded with a nod.

"i can't believe it! you're so handsome," she added. i quickly blushed at what she said, but wait, did i just blush?

"come on, tell me how a 'lee hayul' got to where he is now."

i simply sighed since I don't believe i have any other option. i said "fine" and she grinned at me with sincerity. Did i state that i felt secure with her smile? uncomfortably cozy? her smile is the finest i've ever seen, so there.

"back then, i was this nerdy, mysterious, silent boy who always achieved his goals, but the people around him even his parents hated him for some reasons. even though he grew up in a wealthy family, his step-mother ashamed him, well, maybe his whole family, and she is always disgusted when she sees his face because she remembers every time they met how her husband had cheated on her." he said with sadden eyes,

"he imagined that the people who would embrace him regardless of who he was, whether he was an illegitimate child, would offer him much importance, but he was given no choice but to leave their home."

"and like you, he wanted to be loved although he fell out of love by his parents until he had to fight alone. he had no one to lean on except his friend, from they have been great friends from birth, they frequently discuss how their lives are going, how manipulative their families are, and occasionally they would fight about something that no one could possibly describe."

"they are still good friends now, but because of their occupations and their hectic schedules, they just stopped spending time together. they struggled to find a connection between them." i sighed again as i continued to tell her my tale of how they simply came apart.

"that was fascinating, wow." i smirked "really?" she then nodded

"so we're equal. i mean we wanted to be loved, but it's destiny that makes the way that isn't really meant to be the pleasure we're hoping for." she sighed and looked at me

"the difficulty isn't it? The difficulty when you keep sacrificing, you're still the loser. But no matter what you do, you'll still have a hard time in the end." she turned her head away as she started crying.

"i guess you're right we had no choice we don't have freedom we can't do anything if we're surrounded by responsibilities. maybe we just need time to enlighten ourselves, maybe we just need a new beginning."

TO BE CONTINUED