𝟭𝟱

SOMETIMES, MAYU WONDERS IF IT WAS ALL A DREAM

SOMETIMES, MAYU WONDERS IF IT WAS ALL A DREAM. There is no solid explanation as to how she even arrived in the weird country, that oftentimes she will ask the universe if this was all constructed by her subconscious while she sleeps. It's such a brutal reality, and no matter how entertained she is with the games, lives are on the line.

She'd learn to live with the burden of all the deaths, but it is still a constant thought that maybe her subconscious is just so deep that it can create this dimension. No matter how thrilling the games are, maybe when she wakes, she will be back in the comfort of her apartment, dreading to get up early for law class again.

Ah, she actually misses studying to become an attorney. At least in that normal world, laws actually exist. She'd seen many crimes committed as an executive of the organization, and she never really bothered to use the things she studied. She sleeps every night and wakes every morning, but a millimeter of her brain still holds onto the hope that maybe she'd wake from this eerily-realistic dream.

But then again, every time she shuts her eyes for some sleep, she's awoken to the same situation.

Shoulder subtly being shaken, her eyelashes flutter as she blinks away the haze. Music still floods through her left ear, and the same condescending eyes greet her. Chishiya mentions the scheme starting already, and that Aguni's declaration will begin soon. The drowsy girl silently nods, standing with a yawn.

The room is now void of people besides the two, perhaps the others had gone to their designated positions, which reminds the girl of a question. She turns to her accomplice and asks, "What am I meant to do again?"

He scoffs, "You really didn't listen."

Stifling another yawn, she shrugs. "How could I when Childish Gambino's song is just so good?"

The two begin walking to where the confused beach members are gathered. The lobby is filled with people and in the usual spot of its leader is the stern-faced militant.

"We're just going to watch the announcement, I'll talk to Arisu and call Aguni when it fails." The male ignores her excuse as they situate themselves on a higher floor, watching the events from above.

"So I don't have to do anything?"

When he nods, confusion sparks within her mind. She internally shrugs though, it's easier for her morals if she's less involved. "Good, I would have used a solid to get out of it anyway."

It may have been an unconscious act to guarantee the safety of the brunette or just that they had all the necessary roles filled, the man is unsure himself. It'd be a lie to say he doesn't care for her, so unnecessarily putting her at risk doesn't sit right with him.

With a straight face, she simply witnesses the informal inauguration of the militants, face contorting to a smile when Aguni says amusingly blunt orders. She preferred the brutally honest wording rather than the flashy lies of the previous king.