𝟭𝟲

HUFFS ARE ALL SHE HEARS, besides the familiar ringing of gunshots, of course

HUFFS ARE ALL SHE HEARS, besides the familiar ringing of gunshots, of course. Mayu had gone off on her own little mission after watching the militants commit mass murder through the surveillance cameras. Her two companions went their own ways too, she wasn't really sure what they'd do, but there was no time to discuss.

Through her labored breaths and staggering sprints, she stops at a vacant door. Leaning on the column for support, she sets her priorities straight. The brunette brings out her beloved mixtape with quick hands, her fingers already so used to the action. The opportunity reached her, and so she takes it.

Pumped Up Kicks - Foster The People

The intro to the song is so familiar, she'd listened to it long before the mixtape had been made, and yet she never found herself sick of its melodies. There must be magic in the rhythm.

The music fails to mute the clamorous bursts of rifles, snipers, and manual guns, though it does muffle them. Mayu takes the chance and goes back into her own world, still making sure to attend to her surroundings. The lyrics that are engraved into her brain ring through her ears, such a fitting song for running away from idiotic shooters.

Like what the singer says, everyone runs. The party people of the beach are all panicked. Their cries are heard across the whole building, and yet the reverberating of bullets completely silences them. The brunette has no time to waste.

She brings out the small machine gun she had failed to fire just earlier, points at the shirtless militant who had spotted her, and shoots. The bullets are automatic, and she feels the gun's recoil even after retracting the trigger. Blood spills out of his stomach, and she finds her own stomach churning at the thought that she had done that. Still, there is no time to watch. Mayu takes off into a sprint to look for a certain group of acquaintances. Her legs already ache, her body sleep-deprived, and hands shaking from her first direct kill.

From what she remembers, keenly watching through CCTV's, Usagi and her companions would be somewhere here. They had obviously moved, as staying in one place would get you killed, so Mayu carries on in locating the short girl. Smoke wafts in the air, the stupid militia must be burning all these unnecessary corpses. The brunette still lets herself inhale all its toxicity. So much had happened in a day and she really just wants to take a nap. Her mind spaces out to the last conversation she'd had with her two allies.

Kuina was standing right in front of the monitors, Chishiya leaning behind her, and Mayu seated on the surface of the table. All eyes were on the screens. They watched as blood splattered on the sheets, carpets, and walls. The people who were running for their lives are suddenly lifeless on the floor, and the militants don't do anything but continue killing with no mind.

Mayu is no stranger to death. She'd been forced to deal with it everyday since she'd been brought to this land, yet it felt as though she had been in a trance when she watched so many lives end through the cameras. She never minded gore or murder, but all this killing didn't feel real. Her mind continued to zone as Kuina spoke, her ears only really listened when the male responded.