- 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

𝗟𝘂𝗶𝘀 𝗙𝗹𝗼𝗿𝗲𝘀 was missing. Officially. The police filed a report earlier that day for the teenage boyʼs sudden disappearance.

Unlike Big John Routledge, who went missing at sea a few months before, everybody on the island was bending over backwards to search for this boy because he was a rich kid, who came form a well-respected family. And Luis was only eighteen — he wasn't old enough to have a sudden heart attack in the middle of nowhere, he wasn't old enough to plan out and go through with a runaway that worked. His disappearance only meant bad things. Only bad things could've come out of it.

His family were doing just fine without him. They acted weirdly normal, and nobody seemed to care much about their reaction. Obviously, they played distraught parents to fool the cops and everybody else, but to their inner circle, they seemed completely content without their oldest son.

His little sister, however, was lost without Luis.

Hours after the missing personʼs report was filed, Kaci Flores ran. She ran, and she had no idea where she was going to end up. A bottle of beer in her hand, the end of a blunt in her mouth, she continued to run through the island until she ended up on the bad parts.

November was here now and winter was starting to creep through; the days were getting darker and the nights were getting longer. And deep in the southside of Outerbanks, the trailer creeps were drunk and cat-calling anyone that went by.

"Yo, what's a little girl like you doing down here?" one man asked, stumbling closer towards the young girl.

Kaci ignored him and continued walking ahead. She gave up running after her head starting bleeding, due to the many times she had hit it over the rocks she fell on over at the beach. To be completely honest, she wasn't even sure how she was still on her own two feet. Alcohol wasn't a familiar taste to her, and she had consumed more than Rafe Cameron at his graduation in June.

And she was right, because after a few more minutes, her legs finally gave out and the girl found a comfortable spot on the grass to sit. For a couple of moments, Kaci thought about things. A lot of things. Bad things. And the more her mind spiralled, the more intoxicated she grew. Sip after sip, bottle after bottle, until the Sophmore highschooler was bearly able to open her eyes.

𝗔𝗹𝗿𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁, 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗸𝘀, Barry." JJ Maybank let out a huff and sent the drug dealer a respectful nod. Turning away from the older boy, the blonde took off his cap and ran a stressful hand through his hair. Typical. His dad was missing. Again. On the one day he needed him.

His friends were all away for the weekend on a school field trip to the mainlandʼs annual circus — JJ wasn't allowed to attend, due to their schoolʼs safety concerns about the boy. Which basically meant they didn't trust him not to beat the shit out of someone or run away and join the circus. Fair enough, because he definitely would've convinced himself the latter would be great, but it was still annoying.

"Yo, ain't that Rafe Cameronʼs girl?"

JJ followed his eyes to spot Kaci Flores sitting on the grass, drunkenly twirling a glass bottle in her fingers, her head leaned back on the hard wall behind her.

"What the fuck is she doing out here?" Barry went on, then scoffed. "You see her, you tell her that her boy owes me a hundred." Blowing a little air out his mouth, the drug dealer patted JJ on the shoulder and slammed the door of his little home.

For a few moments, JJ wasn't sure what to do. He, himself, wasn't too fond on Kaci Flores — no pouge was — and Kie would definitely murder him if he was spotted with the girl.