- 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐱

𝗞𝗮𝘇 𝗙𝗹𝗼𝗿𝗲𝘀 watched his mom in extreme confusion from his high chair. Just a moment ago, she was smiling and feeding him cold mash from a spoon, and now she was sitting in her seat, fingers through her hair as she let out choked sobs. She tried not to let him see her upset, but it all came out too soon for even Kaci, herself, to realise it was coming. It just happened, out of nowhere.

Inhaling a deep breath, Kaci finally looked back up, trying her hardest to push back all the tears, running her hands straight down her hair. She smiled back at Kaz, who was frowning, assuring him that everything was alright. Which it was. Everything was fine. Kaci had no idea where the sudden panic came from, but it was so unlike her that it ended up being way more exaggerated than it actually was.

Behind them, the door to the Château opened, it's rusted metal creaking so loud that Kaz winced. Kaci wiped over her eyes another time, planting a kiss on his forehead, brushing a few strands of dark hair away from his face.

"Anyone home?" Kieʼs voice came shortly after, her footsteps echoing through the small house. "Kaci?" She entered the kitchen, brows furrowed, seeing the red around the girlʼs eyes. "Hey, what are you still doing here? The boys are practically throwing a party outside."

Kaci smiled, gesturing to Kaz. "Yeah, I know, I'll be out in a sec — just feeding him."

"Is he even allowed food yet?"

"Not real food, just formula milk."

Kie chuckled, feeling a little awkward, kind of like Kaci didn't want her there. "Are you sure you're okay?" she asked again.

"Yeah." Kaci shook her head, putting on a huge smile. "Yeah, no, I'm just stoned, that's all."

That was when Kie knew something was up. She never smiled like that, never. That was a Sarah smile, not a Kaci smile.

Rather than saying something, knowing that the Flores girl would only continue to make excuses, Kie threw her arms around Kaci, wrapping her into an affectionate, meaningful hug.

Taken back by the sudden touch, Kaci slowly wrapped her arms back around Kie. It felt nice. Like she needed it. Like this whole thing was something she'd been holding in for so long, and she just needed to get it out.

"You can talk to me, you know that, right?" Kie said quietly into Kaciʼs neck.

"I know," Kaci told her with a nod, "I'm just confused."

Kie pulled away, keeping her hands on Kaciʼs arm. She frowned. "About what?"

Kaci shrugged. "I don't know, it's just...everything has happened so fast, and I just —" She shrugged again, feeling uncomfortable about opening up. "— I haven't really had any time to process it."

Rather than letting her confusion show, Kie nodded understandingly, seeing light tears arm themselves behind Kaciʼs eyes. She didn't say anything, letting the girl go on without any interruptions.

"I mean, Jordan...he's dead," her voice croaked at the mention of her baby brother. "My ex boyfriend murdered him. And I'm just — I'm trying to do everything to not be down for Kaz. I'm just trying to be okay, and it works.

"And then, suddenly, Luis...he's, like, crazy." She shook her head, feeling sick at her thoughts, not wanting to say the rest out loud. "He took Kaz and we killed him, and that's good — that's...I know that had to happen. But..." She shook her head another time. "I don't know, he's still my brother. And I wanna, you know, grieve him, I guess? But then, that's selfish, because of everything...and..."

Kaci took a moment to pause, only now noticing the tears again. She huffed and dragged them away with the sleeves of JJʼs hoodie she wore.

Kie continued to nod, squeezing her arms assuringly.