- 𝐞𝐩𝐢𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

(one year later)

𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗰𝗼𝘂𝗿𝘁 room was so warm Kaci could feel JJʼs sweat through his blazer as they stood together in the front row, waiting for the verdict to be declared. Kaci could feel her heart beat faster as she heard the whispers from the jury around, and the tall blonde squeezed her hand in assurance, telling her that whatever was to happen, they would be okay. He wasn't going to let anything bad happen to her again.

The judge took a long moment to stare around at the people ahead of him, all the kids who had got mixed up in things they were way too young for, all the families who'd been destroyed by a sick game that dated back a hundred years. None of it made any sense, and none of it should've happened, but he nodded. He nodded and smiled as he confidently said, "The jury and I agree that we find the defendant, Mikel Flores, not guilty!"

Around the courtroom, people burst into cheers, especially the front row, who were all fast to wrap each other in their arms. Sarah and John B grinned, holding hands and happy to be there that day, back together and being there for Kaci. Pope smiled, his usual pessimistic attitude having been gone for a long while. Kie cheered, holding a wiggly toddler in her arms as she wrapped her arms around Kaci.

Mikel turned back, being released from his cuffs, staring at his teenage daughter, beyond proud of the girl he created, of the family she made for herself. He hadn't held her in his arms for years, he hadn't held Kaz at all, and he couldn't have been quicker to run there and get them.

Kaz smacked him playfully, sending a cheeky grin back to his daddy and uncles, who all shook their heads with repressed smirks. He wrapped his arms around his grandfatherʼs neck, grinning at his mommy. "Fuck!" he shouted, thinking it was something he was supposed to say in happy moments.

Kaci shook her head, turning to JJ. "See? This is why I didn't want us swearing around him," she said, as the little boy repeated the curse word to everybody that went past.

JJ chuckled. "Everyone thinks it's cute."

"It's not, it's annoying."

"Fuck."

"Kaz, shh."

"Fuck."

John B and JJ both burst into laughter, unable to hold it in anymore, while Kaz smiled at his mom proudly.

"I'm glad you're back, Dad," Kaci finally said, smiling at Mikel.

"It's good to be back, Kace."

𖧷

𝗪𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗮𝗹𝗹 the money the pouges made between both the gold and The Cross, the first thing they did was get the hell off their old island, landing in one much nicer. They all lived together in one big home, which was a complete and total disaster, but the family wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

They spent most of the night partying, drinking and acting like teenagers. But it was a night for celebration afterall, and even Heyward and Mikel joined in. Wheezie was allowed only three glasses, though Kaci was pretty sure she'd caught John B and JJ sneaking her some more.

Eventually, Kaci sat down in the yard, soaking up in the moonlight sun and staring out at the beach ahead.

JJ caught her sitting alone and left the arm wrestle with Pope to go and join her. "How you feeling?" he asked, wrapping an arm around the girl.

She looked up at him with a small smile, resting her head onto his shoulder. "I'm just done with all the drama."

He nodded. "I get that."

"I think I'm just at a place now where I've got everything I need — you, Kaz, those idiots. I don't feel like I need to throw fists to prove a point anymore, I just wanna chill now."

JJ smiled, pulling her closer. "I'll chill with you, Ma."

"I love you, JJ," Kaci said, eyes gleaming as she stared into his crystal blues.

He pressed a kiss to her forehead. "I love you too, Princess."

"Fuck!"

"No, no, Kaz — shit. You say shit."

"Fuck."

"No, it's shit."

Kaci turned around, gobsmacked. "John B, what are you teaching my child?!"

He shrugged. "If he's gonna do it, he's gotta do it right."

JJ shook his head with a chuckle, pulling the girl back to him. "We've got the dream now, baby, just relax."

"Shit!"

"Hey, there it is! Look, Kaci, I taught him a new word!"

Authorʼs Note
again, i'm really sorry that i ended this so suddenly but i couldn't bring myself to write something that my heart wasn't into, because then i wouldn't be at my best and it wouldn't be enjoyable for you guys. but finishing this story is so bittersweet and all my characters will hold a special place in my heart, especially kaci and jordan. thank you for all the lovely votes and comments over the months, i appreciate you all beyond words can say.
love, tay </3