- 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

𝗞𝗮𝗰𝗶 𝗙𝗹𝗼𝗿𝗲𝘀 was in trouble. She had kept her pregnancy hidden from everybody in the world for over seven months, and her family were pissed. Not because their underage daughter had unprotected sex, not because she could've died from how unhealthy her pregnancy had been, not even because she was pregnant — they were pissed because she cheated on her assigned future husband, Rafe Cameron.

Naturally, Kaci was grounded. She had her phone taken away, and any contact she had outside the penthouse was perished. JJ was also fired from his job after a strangely calm talking to from Mikel, and both parents had completely iced their daughter out for the last few days. Kaci was panicking every morning, sure that she'd end up like Luis. Gone and forgotten, never to be seen again. Jordan, however, was loving the situation, spending every day going baby shopping with the girls he liked.

Tonight was different, though. Tonight, Kaci had to leave her bedroom. Because tonight was Midsummers, hosted by ʼThe River Palaceʼ. And as the hostess, Kaci was expected to be there.

Not having been in public for days, Kaci wasn't sure what the other people on the island were told, what her friends thought, if she even had friends anymore. Her parents, Rafe and JJ could've gone out to say anything — they all had a reason to be mad now, they all had a reason to resent her.

Midsummers was an annual event around the North side of the island; it was an event thrown for the rich to shit on the poor. The girls wore the finest dresses and the men wore black tie — pouges scattered around and served for them. Kaci never used to care about the other side; she used to drink away and mess around with her friends, but this time all she could think about were the pouges. Her babyʼs family — she'd have to speak to them often, soon.

Kaci wore a long, laced, crimson, v-neck appliques tulle dress, which was tight around her waist and showed the clear, round, beautiful, baby bump that sat on her stomach. She stood in front of the mirror for a moment, her hands rubbing it gently as she admired the look of herself.

For months, her pregnancy made her feel ugly, sick even, but now she had embraced the magic of it, the whole thing made her feel powerful; majestic. She loved being pregnant, she loved carrying a life inside of her. The glow of her pregnancy made her skin shine and her smile brighter, everything seeming a lot more wonderful than it did before.

"It's time to come downstairs now, Mija, the guests will be arriving shortly," a voice spoke behind her.

Kaci froze, spine straightening, at the sound of her father. He hadn't said much over the last few days — Marie was the one doing all the shouting, especially when she called her family and told them the outrageous news. But Mikel stayed quiet, observant, and Kaci wasn't sure if he had even told anyone about his soon grandchild. She was cautious of her father, scared of him. She always had been.

Mikel was a proud man, his words were always firm and final, and nobody on the island ever wanted to upset him. Growing up, he sometimes felt more like Kaciʼs boss than her father; they never had the bond a daughter and dad should have, the kind of bond JJ would have with their child. So Kaci didn't ever want to upset him, either, frightened of the consequences. And ever since she found that note from Luis, her fears grew even more.

"Okay," she said with a nod, looking at him through the mirror, waiting for him to do something, preparing for something to happen. Tension filled the air wherever this man went, but when he was with his own children, the atmosphere was always thicker. Because nobody wanted to please than man more than his own kids, nobody was more scared of this man than his own kids. He was never their dad. Never. "I'll be down in a minute."

Mikel nodded, but he didn't move from his confident stance at the girlʼs doorway. "Do what Marie says tonight, Kaci," he told her. "There's no point in causing any more problems." He sighed. "We just want what's best for you. Really."