03: A hallucination or danger?

(Miranda's POV)

"Miranda, mi sobrina, can you help me find Toñio?" Tia Pepa shouted from outside my door.

"Coming, Tia Pepa!" I shouted back. After seeing a vision of the past, I knew exactly where Antonio was.

As I left my bedroom and headed toward the nursery with my gift, I noticed Mirabel heading towards the nursery as well.

We both looked at each other and smiled, knowing that we are thinking the same thing.

Just before we opened the door, I heard Tia Julieta speaking to Abuela.

"Mama, be nice to Mirabel and Miranda, okay?" She asked. "You know tonight will be hard for them."

"If this night doesn't go perfectly, it will be hard for us all." Abuela answered.

I pursed my lips. I looked at Mirabel again, who had the same expression as mine. She sighed, breaking the eye contact. I gave her a side hug, ensuring her that everything will be okay.

We entered the nursery, but Antonio was nowhere to be found. Or so it looked like.

Mirabel raised her eyebrows at me, like she was telling me, "You know where he is hiding too, right?" I nodded in return, and we both took our gifts from a desk before sitting down on Mirabel's bed.

"Everyone's looking for you~ " Mirabel muttered in a sing-song voice.

"Oh where, oh where could little tonito be?" I asked dramatically.

We both put our gifts down on the floor beside the bed.
"These presents are going to self-destruct if no one takes them in 3...2...1......Ooh!" Mirabel said.

A small hand appeared from under the bed and swiped both of our gifts away. Giggling, we slid under the bed and caught Antonio pouting in his hiding place.

"Nervous?" Mirabel asked. Antonio nodded slowly.

"Hey, little man, don't be. You are going to have an amazing gift." I assured him. "I guarantee it."

"But what if it doesn't work?" He whispered.

"Well, in that impossible scenario, you'll be stuck here. With me. In the nursery. Forever! And I'll get you all to myself!" Mirabel giggled, tickling him.

We all laughed quietly.

Antonio then whispered to Mira, "I wish you could have a door."

Mira answered, "Don't worry about me. Because I have an amazing family, and amazing house, and an amazing you. And seeing you open that door, is going to make me happier than anything else." She put her hand on Antonio's, giving him a reassuring smile.

"Wow. That's deep." I blurted out, trying to lighten up the mood.

We all bursted into laughter again.

Mirabel gestured towards our gifts, silently asking Toñio to open them.

He opened Mirabel's first. It was a stuffed jaguar, handmade by her.

"I know you are an animal guy, so I made this, so if you feel lonely in your new room, you'll have something to snuggle with." Mira smiled kindly.

Then he opened mine. It was a small, wooden toucan figure. "I knew that you've always wanted this figure from the market, so I bought one."

He rested his head on Mirabel's shoulder while I hugged them tightly. As much of a hug I can give while lying on the floor, at least. Savoring this moment, I closed my eyes, imagining if Papi was with us.