Chapter 3

Chapter 3

There was a knock on the door and I all but sprinted to the sound. I was alone today, Liz and Rick being a work and Ash and Luke touring college campuses. It hurt a little that I wasn't going to college but I was also a little relieved. After a year of taking care of my kids, I decided I was going to become a zoologist. I always loved animals and I got good enough grades to become a biologist, so I thought it would be good. Since all my friends were off touring their colleges and universities, Zoe hadn't gotten into Harvard, instead going to a university that was only a two and a half hour drive away, I was left all alone with my babies. That was, until Dean asked if I wanted him to come over and keep me company. I didn't hesitate to agree.

I opened the front door and Dean smiled widely at me before pulling me into a hug. I laughed at his eagerness and hugged me back, laughing even louder when he lifted me up. He put me down and I stepped aside so he could walk inside. He did so and I shut the door behind him, leading him into the kitchen where I had been baking cookies. I felt like a goddamn house wife, baking cookies while my "husband" went out and brought home the bacon, but I wanted a goddamn chocolate chip cookie so I was going to have one. Dean sat down on the island in front of me and put his finger into the sugar and egg mixture, making me slap his hand with a wooden spoon.

"Where's the two rugrats then?" he asked, nursing his sore knuckles.

"Napping downstairs," I said, waving the baby monitor in front of him. "I swear this fucking thing has become my new best friend and it's only been a week." I sighed as I began mixing together the dry ingredients as he laughed. "Where's yours?"

"At her aunt's. She hadn't seen her for around a month and God knows she's not my biggest fan. My sister is kind of a bitch." He answered.

"Why is she such a bitch?" I questioned curiously.

He rubbed the back of his neck before fiddling with the charm on his necklace. "I don't know. She's twelve years older, married to a doctor or a dentist or something. She's not even my real sister, she has a different mom. Hates my dad because of her mom remarrying so hates me by default. She loves Amie though, as most people tend to do, so she tolerates me for her. Her kids are little demons though, so I'm not sure if I want her around them when she gets older."

We talked about kids and siblings for a while before moving onto different subjects. Dahlia and Jonathon started crying at the same time, signalling that they were both awake so Dean helped me calm them down and entertain them a little. Once they were tuckered out and back asleep, we went into the living room and watched a movie. It was Scary Movie 5, so naturally it was the stupidest thing I had ever seen, but it was entertaining so we watched it anyway. We were about halfway through the film when Luke came home, throwing his keys on the kitchen counter with a clatter. He walked into the living room and I smiled at him. Dean turned his head to see who I was looking at and waved his hand.

"Hey, Luke." He greeted.

Luke nodded at him as a greeting before walking over to me.

"Hey baby, how was-" I was cut off when he grabbed my face and kissed me.