Chapter 12

Chapter 12

It had been a month since my father showed up and they decided to take the whole thing to court. The court date was tomorrow, so obviously the house was full of tension. I thought everyone was handling it quite well. Well, everyone but Luke, that is.

Three weeks ago, he decided that if he fell back into his old habits, he would be able to deal with his stress better. Obviously, he was wrong. I had hardly seen him over the past few weeks. He would leave before I woke up to go to school, which he was failing anyway so I was pretty sure he wasn’t actually going. Then he would send me a text at around four saying he wasn’t going to be home till late that night and not to wait up. Of course, I would wake up when he stumbled into the room, giggling to himself and reeking of marijuana and alcohol, before getting into bed and passing out immediately. Weekends were worse. He didn’t even come home then. He would stay the entire weekend at Michael or Calum’s house, not coming home till nine o’clock Sunday night, kissing the kids goodnight, have a five minute, awkward conversation with me before going to bed. And I would usually let him do that, obediently follow his text’s instructions and not questioning his coping methods. That is, until I woke up to blood stained sheets and pillow cases. So the next morning, I set my alarm so I could get up before him and pushed on his shoulder to wake him up. He woke with a bit of a start and looked up at me in sleepily irritation.

“I was asleep.” He grumbled, turning so he could lay his head back down on his pillow.

“We need to talk. And this was the only time I could guarantee you wouldn’t avoid me.” I hissed, pushing the blankets off and standing up. “Is your hangover too bad for me to speak to you or should I come back in an hour?”

He sat up in the bed and leaned against the headboard. He crossed his arms over his chest and I took in his appearance. He had a fat lip and a bruised cheekbone. His nose looked as though it had been bleeding, but he managed to stop it before I could see. The tattoos littering his chest were divided by fresh scars and I walked over from the foot of the bed, pointing my finger accusingly at the angry, red scar going across his pectoral muscle.

“What the hell have you been doing, Luke? I haven’t seen you in weeks and I woke up yesterday to bloody sheets. Are you fighting again? Because I know you pick fights when you’re drunk and you’re always drunk now. That, or you’re high as a kite. So, please, just tell me what the fuck is going on?”

He groaned and stood up, walking over to the closet and throwing on the first things he saw. He began walking towards the door and I stepped in front of it so he couldn’t leave, which was a dick move but I was desperate.

“I have to go to school, Danielle. Get out of the way.” He said while rolling his eyes.

“Actually, you don’t. It’s snowing. Classes are cancelled.”

“Then I’ll pick up a shift at work.” His voice lowered and he muttered to himself as he pushed past me. I raised my eyebrows as I heard him speak and stalked after him.

“I’m sorry, what was that?” I snapped, walking quickly so I could be beside him.

“Nothing, dear. Don’t worry about it.” he answered condescendingly, going straight to the couch, avoiding the twins’ room completely.

“You do everything, that’s what you said. God knows, I do everything for you anyway?” I repeated. I sounded insane, I knew that, but he was driving me crazy. Why couldn’t he just talk to me? It isn’t that hard to open your goddamn mouth and say something. “I’m sorry that I can’t go to school because I have to take care of our kids. And I can’t work yet because if I did, I’d be using all the money I make on paying a babysitter. So I’m so sorry that you’re doing the things I would love to do while I’m stuck here, alone, day in and day out!”