𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫: an old friend and the first date

can't believe i actually drifted to sleep

it was around midnight when i noticed i was in his bed, alone this time.

"what am i getting myself into?", i groaned, disappointed in myself.

he even changed my clothes to the shirt i was wearing in the morning, how thoughtful.

i wandered around and noticed that some lights were still on. jake was spotted in his little office, his hair a mess and his glasses right on top of it.

he noticed me in the hallway and smiled: "go back to sleep, it's midnight. you shouldn't be wandering around completely awake." "i was just going to the kitchen so i can get some water."

"you could have called me. remember? i'm always just one call away."

that's what he used to tell me whenever i felt unsafe somewhere. it's hard to forget the past, isn't it?

and even at that moment, he was able to make me smile like a fool.

jake turned the light on his desk off and left the room to get into the kitchen. i obviously followed him, only to get a cup of water he prepared. a quiet "thanks" left my mouth before drinking it.

"seems like you crashed into my unit for the night again.", he chuckled, "i could get used to that."

"please, stop giving yourself foolish thoughts. i only stayed because you were dragging me into your arms and continued sleeping. what else was i supposed to do? stay awake and stare at your sleeping face?"

"you could have been a monster and just keep me awake."

"you know i'm not hating you, jake. i think you need that sleep. look at you overworking."

jake let out a sigh and tried to change the topic. "i was thinking about something."

he slowly hugged me from behind as he smiled to himself. "do you want to go to the zoo with me tomorrow?"

the zoo.

this was the place where our first date took place. it was ridiculous how he asked me out: jake knew i was a timid person who doesn't like the amusement park, but he was too shy for a picnic since it would have only been the two of us.

in the end, he chose the zoo because it was fun to see different animals. plus, it was a public place where he could keep it on the low.

"the zoo?", i asked, "don't you have work tomorrow?"

"i took the day off. sometimes it's good to just relax and do fun activities."

"who knows what you mean by saying 'fun activities'.", i rolled my eyes at him. "let's just go to sleep. i'm tired."

"but you haven't agreed to my offer yet!", he whined.

i turned around and ruffled through his hair:

"i would love to go to the zoo with you, jake."