𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐨𝐧𝐞: families to enemies

"they escaped

"they escaped.", jeongwoo breathed out as i ran behind him.

i didn't want any of this. i hated every single moment that was happening. taesung dragged me back home, put the weapon in my hand and simply sent me off with jeongwoo to catch jake and the rest.

surprisingly, my dad decided to join too. but he moved forward on his own, only god knows where he was right now.

"jeongwoo, do we really have to do this?", i asked with a shaky breath.

"don't tell me you're playing the scaredy-cat now, hyewon. stop being a crybaby and fulfill the mission.", he simply demanded and shot at the glass door, "just look for him and get him out of the way. this is your only task, so stop sulking or whatever."

jeongwoo proceeded to run off without me, spinning jake's company upside down. i wondered where all the employees went, it was as if the company stood still for years. the building was way too quiet, not a single soul to be seen... except for my partner.

"what are you waiting for? move!"

"geez, i will.", i scoffed and went upstairs. they were probably preparing themselves in the hidden room, so it was easy to find them. i heard dad's voice in the lobby, screaming at jeongwoo and the rest to spread out and make sure to catch every single member.

so this was it, huh?

i had no chance against my own family. dad would surely shoot me on spot if i turned my back against him. and to think i was going to sacrifice jake in order to keep me alive. i felt egoistic, but this was simply a cruel world you could only survive in when you're only trusting yourself.

"hyewon."

i turned around to face taesung, who was oddly smiling at me. "do you think we can talk after... this?"

what kind of maniac have i gotten on my leash?, i thought, but nodded anyway. "i'm getting this job done first. look around the cafeteria, two of them used to hide there all the time."

he just showed me a thumbs up and left quickly. and when i thought i was alone again, my dad suddenly stood in front of me, a big smile plastered on his face: "whatever will happen in this building, know im proud of you for being such a perfect child. i'm sure you'll do a great job."

———

"honestly, i'm very scared right now. what if we don't make it out alive?", sunoo panicked.

"all the employees here were partly in dad's group. they're in front of the building after the lees entered, do you know what that means? silent approaching, they'll be dead meat soon.", jake calmly replied as he fastened his vest.

jungwon sat in the corner, checking everything they needed. "do you think hyewon is with them?"

"unfortunately, yes." heeseung sighed, "she's in here too. just not on our side."