Vol. 1/ Chapter 1: Unearthed

Unspecified place and time

‘Am I...dead?’

Lee thoughts as his eyes flickered open, seeing a blurry bright light. Was this construct heaven? Would he be able to meet a structured construct Jesus? If so, then he has to make do with his current sins.

‘My body hurts...so that means I'm still alive... Right?’

He could feel every part of his body was intact, but the sensation was very strange. He closes his eyes again to try and check if his M.I.N.D has already been infected by the virus, but saw nothing. Not even traces of flashing warning signs.

‘That's strange...’

No matter how tight he closes his eyes, he could see patches of red floating in his vision. He tried activating the holographic heads-up-display built in his construct body, but none of those responded.
Completely weirded out by what's happening, he opens his eyes again.

An enthralling, cloudless lazuline sky. That was what welcomed the male construct's eyes right after he opened them. It felt...surreal, like he was stuck in an elysian dream. No amount of words could describe what was going on inside his mind.

“...Fascinating.” The words leave his mouth in a whisper.

He lifts his upper body and sat up, before scanning his surroundings. And like a broken radio on repeat, he was stunned on the scenery that welcomed him. Surprisingly, he was in the middle of a field full of flowers. It spanned the flatlands for as much as his eyes could see.

Was he dead? Or was this the first phase constructs would see when the virus is busy eating away at their humanity and transforming them into mindless killers? If so, then he wishes he could stay in this dream forever.

*step*

A sudden, almost inaudible rustle from behind made Lee stand up. In an attempt to have an upper hand to whoever was with him, he grabs the guns that was in his holster...

‘My guns...where are my guns..?”

Lee stood dumbfounded as he searches his thigh holsters, only to find out both weapons weren't there. He frantically looked around, hoping to see if he had somehow dropped it on the ground beside him.

“Looking for these?” The person ahead of him spoke in a familiar voice, causing him to slowly raise his head. It was a girl with long, ashen hair that had bangs covering her left eye. A red scarf was wrapped around her neck, and the clothes she wore seemed tattered, yet fashionable at the same time.

Lee squints his eyes, not believing what he was seeing. “Lucia..? Is that you?”

He noticed the girl was holding both his guns. Her left hand was rested casually on the sword handle sheathed on her waist. She ignored his question and kept staring at him with a cold gaze, before tossing his weapons towards him.

“I am Lucia, but not the Lucia you know.” She answers calmly. However, what he did not expect for her to do was she suddenly draw out her blade and pointed it at him.

?!

In an instant, the palpable killing intent in the air made Lee grab his guns and aim at her deadcenter. The ‘Lucia’ he knew wasn't like this. This girl in front was now a threat to him, and so he began thinking of her as another simulated target that's being used by the Punishing Virus.

Even though he was technically out of reach from her weapon, the ashen haired girl swung her blade forward, causing Lee to pull the trigger. The sounds of plasma bullets leaving the barrel of his guns filled the surroundings.