Vol. 3/ Chapter 6: Called out to the Devil and the Devil said "Hey."

*CLANG*

*WOOSH*

*SLASH*

*THUD!*

The blunt end of the training sword made contact with Lee's chest, sending him backwards as he staggered in his feet. The powerful impact from that strike left a stinging bruise on his body, causing him to question his thoughts about this man standing in front of him.

‘Is this even a mock battle!? I'm fucking dying in here!’ Lee internally screamed, the burning sensation in his chest making him grit his teeth.

He grips the weapon in his hand tightly, readying himself for another possible hit. It wasn't really a weapon, per-se, but a heavy training sword made from light carbon fiber material.

It has your usual handle with a rounded hilt, but the blade is wide and round, all the way to the tip which has a smooth flat surface.

The footsteps of Antonin filled his ears. The man was quite a distance away from him, yet he still looked imposing as ever. He was walking sideways, sidestepping slowly as he circles around Lee.

He was staring right at his soul. Somehow, Lee felt his body shaking as he met Antonin's gaze. The feeling was unnatural, like he was being...eaten from the inside out.

‘He's just pacing back and forth, is this the way he duels?’ Lee thought, breaking eye contact after remembering Hera's words. He tried focusing beyond Antonin's figure as he tried relaxing his body–

–which was a decision he regretted afterwards. In just under a second or so, Antonin's huge stature was already looming ahead of him. He saw the man swing his weapon, the blunt end of the sword's handle hitting him in the forearm as he hastily put up a defense.

This alone sent him staggering backwards, followed by quick successive strikes that landed on his shoulder traps and his arms. He grunted out in pain as he almost lost his grip on the sword he was holding, as a familiar numbness began spreading to his hands.

He couldn't fathom how the huge man was already in front of him within a second. With that speed alone, who could even win a fight against this guy?

When Agartha finished setting up the testing area, which was a floor below the main floor of the training facility, both he and Antonin was briefed by the Ægir instructor. The rules were somehow simple; score higher than 50 hits in under ten minutes and the fight will end.

The hits are measured by the training sword they were using. There was a sensitive measuring device installed on the sword, which will count registered hits once they connect with each other. How the technology works is similar to the targets in Babylonia's training room, so Lee had no problem understanding it.

They also wore a training shirt that was made with lightweight fabric, and can also monitor the hits if the sword touches the body. It needed a specific amount of kinetic force to register as a hit though, so small grazes cannot be acceptable.

“Good footwork, you nearly dodged them.” Antonin commented with a nonchalant tone, which made Lee click his tongue.

Was that an insult just now, or was he really commending him for lasting this long? In any case, it made him feel annoyed.

“Oh yeah? Try dodging this!” Lee suddenly lunged at the red haired man, arching the sword for a downward slash.

Antonin merely used his forearm to deflect the strike, before bringing his own blade to connect at Lee's stomach.

“Guhk!” Lee grunted, falling to his knees for the 4th time now. He used the sword as a makeshift support so that he wouldn't fall over completely.

“Antonin-sama~, Manager Hera is calling.” Agartha, who watched the whole fight in the sidelines, was waving a phone in her hand. She honestly felt bad for Lee, since this was the first time Antonin oversaw the test training of a newcomer.