Vol. 2/ Chapter 2: Faultline

Cafeteria, E-2 Babylonia

======

Akiio chewed on the pork chop he stuffed in his mouth, while taking a spoonful of white rice afterwards. The savory taste of the meal made his taste buds crave for more, so he continues eating while staying in his own little world.

Lucia and Liv was not with him at this moment, since he wanted to do this without the need for help. He discreetly looks over to his 3 o'clock and sees four girls sitting and talking to each other. It was Rozzi's squad, and the person in check had her back facing him.

His feet touches the medium sized paper bag on the floor, making him sigh. He has been finding openings to give it to Rozzi, not because Thana said so yesterday. Well, it is because she said it but that's not the point. The thing is, he can't find the right timing because there were so many people.

“-so I was saying, oi Akiio, listen in will you?” A black haired Commandant, who was sitting across him, snapped his fingers as he spoke.

“I'm listening, Zandril...go on.” Akiio lied.

“Yeah...where was I?” Zandril asked the guy beside him.

“About the latest talks of a joint op with the Forsaken.” the brown haired Commandant responded while munching on some bell tacos. He continued speaking after swallowing the food.

“I heard the rumors, though logically speaking, I'm not too optimistic about the result.”

“Yeah–,” Zandril added with a sigh, before flicking Akiio on the forehead.

“Ayo!”

“–after all, the Forsaken leader Watanabe only ever listens to this guy... How'd you even do that?”

“Guess my natural charms of peacefulness made him think twice?” Akiio rubbed the spot in his forehead. Kimura laughed heartily before eating a spoonful of golden fried rice.

Akiio laughed too, since it was, in a sense, true. Watanabe is a straightforward man, and his ideals often collide with the way Babylonia does things. That's why the Gray Ravens are almost always involved whenever Babylonia has to operate near Forsaken controlled territory.

As they were talking, Akiio averted his attention towards Rozzi's table. Blood rushed up his head and his forehead began trickling with cold sweat as two of the Transcendants sitting across Rozzi was nowhere near the table. Instead, they were walking towards his direction, eyes fixed at him like predators finding it's prey.

He was about to stand up when Thana whistled loud and sharp, causing him to flinch. In mere seconds, the two towering ladies was already standing beside their table.

“Crap...” Akiio muttered. Most of the Commandants eating around him turned their heads to see what was going on, since the two Transcendants are sticking out like a sore thumb.

“Err... Is there any problem..?” Kimura was the first one to break the ice, since both girls was looking down at Akiio with amused expressions.

“Nah, nothing of the sort. Just wanna borrow him for a second.” Thana said and puts her large hand on Akiio's shoulder, before closing on his ear.

“You owe her an apology, remember?”

Akiio flinched at her tone, which, to his hearing, sounded a bit threatening. He looked up and faced her, only to see that she was smiling at him, yet her eyes conveyed the opposite.

“Yeah, yeah. I was just finishing my meal, that's all. Haha...” He answered, nearly stammering as he finished the sentence.

Kimura and Zandril glanced at each other, confused about this sudden development. The others turned a blind eye in an instant, cautiously avoiding eye contact with the Transcendants as if they were out for blood.