Vol. 1/ Chapter 6: Friend or Foe?

“Fuck.”

Lee sighs heavily after realizing too late what he walked into. He cursed himself for not realizing that the place was too quiet for his own good. He slowly but steadily moves his arm behind his back, before pulling out one of his guns that was tucked beneath his pants.

He grips the handgun tightly, before listening intently if there was any sound of movements on his surroundings. It dawned to him that he lost quite sometime of training, since he has lived a rather laid-back life up til now. He raises his arm and aims the gun at an alleyway.

“Who’s there? C'mon, if you're gonna mug someone on the streets, atleast show yourse–”

SWOOSH~

SLICE

*THUNK!*

Lee stood frozen in place as a small knife flew right past his head. The blade made a visible cut on his cheek, which was so precise and quick that he didn't even feel the pain after a couple of seconds later.

He looks back in complete horror to see that the knife was embedded on the marble stone that made up the house a few feet away from him. It looked like a simple knife, yet the sheer amount of force, and the unrealistic speed made his skin crawl.

Seeing that his life was now endangered, he fires his plasma pistol on where he thinks the attack came from. The sizzling blue tracers made easy work on the walls of the house, burning through them as he rained down enough fire to kill a human being.

However, as smoke and dust came from the house, a figure leapt out of the haze and into the air. Clad in black jacket, the person, to which Lee assumed was his stalker, rushed towards him with superb speed. Lee aimed his gun deadcenter at the masked attacker, but before he could pull the trigger, something hit his gun.

!?

‘Shit! A sniper!?’

The pistol clattered off to the sidewalk, leaving him alone with his fists. He didn't have the luxury of time to see where the shot came from, as the person right in front of him already pulled out two short swords.

He stepped to the side to avoid a thrust aimed at his neck, and dodged a strike that could have disemboweled him. Staggering backwards like a drunkard, Lee found himself in front of a skilled assassin while fighting for his life.

He grabs the nearest thing he could see, which was an old rusted pipe, and used it as a weapon. The attacker stopped for a moment, before raising a hand in the air. She then made a couple of hand gestures that made no sense to Lee.

This gave him enough time to stand up to his feet, and he fixes his gait as he held the makeshift weapon with both hands. The tension in the air was suffocating, and the killing intent the masked foe gave him was palpable.

He couldn't see past the dark visor of their goggles, but based on the person's slender figure, he could tell that he was facing a girl. Lee's thoughts was interrupted when the attacker made her move, dashing to the side at breakneck speed before jumping to a wall.

She kicked back using both legs and used the momentum of her free real estate ride to propel herself towards him. A powerful kick landed at his body, causing him to be thrown a few feet away.

*Thud*

“Guhhh...” Lee groans as he limply sat on the ground. The sheer force of that kick made him wince in pain as he puts a hand on his side. A rib or two might have broke from that single strike alone, but he had to ignore it.

After all, he didn't want his life to end here, a place deprived of life. He still has to buy sweets for Jane on the way back home, and he plans to confess his feelings later tonight. It would probably suck real bad if authorities find a decaying corpse on the side of this abandoned street.