Vol. 4/ Chapter 2: Psycho

Rhodes Island Landship
Babel headquarters
Outskirts of Kazdel

Quick flashing strobes of lightning lit the post war streets of downtown Lungmen, creating tall shadows that made the afterglow of sparks from the swordfight a spectacle to the naked eye. Even from a bird's eye view of the neon lit city, the combatants can still be seen fighting.

A quick step back made Alpha's strike more brutal, her sword easily penetrating the armored torso of a simulated raider. The artificial blood looked real enough, its familiar crimson color coating the entirety of Sakura's blade.

A sickening wet 'schluck' came from the body as it tumbled unceremoniously to the ground, before glitching out as the relevant data making up it's entire existence was sucked by the invisible system inside the simulation. Alpha flicked the sword sideways, before sprinting towards an opening.

She found herself outside the confines of the alleyway and into the open streets of Lungmen. It was a wide highway pockmarked with craters, one of many telltale signs that the people in this world could use artillery. Though she technically was in a simulation, she kept that detail in mind.

!?

*/Thwack!/*

Alpha fell prone to the ground at the sound of steel hitting steel. She scuttled over to the side of a concrete barrier, using it as cover. Looking over to what seemed to be an overturned law enforcement vehicle, a bolt fired from what she could only think of was a crossbow had embedded itself deep into the metal door of the car.

It was a solid bolt of metal, between 12 to 16 inches long, give or take. Her ears pricked at the sound of shuffling footsteps near a crashed dumpster. As soon as her attention was redirected at that specific location, she jumped out of cover and dashed forward; dragging her katana on the concrete patio which caused sparks.

She somersaults midair and lands behind the dumpster, catching two armed gunmen in utter surprise. She swiftly brought her weapon in a downward cut, slashing the first man's neck in brutal fashion. The second opponent managed to get his bearings straight and fired his crossbow point-blank, hoping to hit it's mark.

But Alpha just moved her hip to the right before using her left arm to uppercut the simulated raider in the chin. Blood spurted out of its mouth as it staggered backwards, before receiving a cleaving blow right in the chest. The figure crumpled into a heap of data in the ground.

As Alpha wiped the sweat in her forehead, a chirping notification came out of nowhere.

"Alpha, I'll be putting a dynamic objective for you to complete." Closure's familiar voice filled her ears.

"Hmph, I suppose it's 'to kill as many as I could before the timer runs out' kind of thing?" the silver haired girl chimes. She pauses for a bit, eyes scanning the downcast skies in the distance.

"Uh... something like that?" Closure stuttered, the click-clack of the keyboard can be heard from the end of the line.

"B-But more importantly, it's to simulate a rescue operation. I'll just observe how you decide on the fly so we'll know if you can-"

"-can cooperate with others, yeah?" Alpha cuts her off, sighing.

"Exactly, the dynamic objective for you is to meet up with a squad of Babel mercenaries in the northwestern part of the city. You should be receiving the data right...now."

A ping of sorts in Alpha's transreciever makes her tap the device lodged in her ear. The data is then transferred into a portable device the size of a late golden age cellphone strapped in her forearm. She sheathes her katana and pinches the screen, zooming into the map until she sees a pulsing green dot.