Vol. 2/ Chapter 4: Hard Contact

Unknown location,
Somewhere in the hot, arid desert of North fucking Africa

In all of Viper's life, all she ever wanted to do was to be at the top of it all. Be it when she was still at learning school, or when she was in the military way before the Punishing virus did it's job.

She is competitive, stubborn, and has a tendency to do something rash whenever she wants something done.

And rash, is an understatement right now.

Exactly how far, is too far?

She swung her legs as she stood up from her seat; her tall, lanky frame a sore sight in the eyes.

Dust follows her every step, her boots making soft crunching noises on the sand covered floor.

The female ascendant approaches the being—who had their back towards her— standing near the enthralling, luminescent light of a portal.

It was this...proclaimed goddess that posed her that question.

“...How far is too far? How far will you go to destroy humanity?”

Well, Viper already has a plan in mind. A good one; one that would kill and infect way, way grotesque and brutally that the current one. She stops short beside the goddess, who was peering over another world through the portal, as if plotting to ravage it too.

“Killing a man is easy. Ending humanity..? Well,” She puts on her mask and faces the crazed men on the platform behind them.

Leave it up to themselves.

======

Forsaken stronghold, 5 kilometers away from Babylonia's F.O.B

Watanabe paces back and forth in front of a holocron projector for the twentieth time, studying the geographic scale of their losses. To the farthest outpost near the corrupted red sea, to the nearest one just about 20 clicks away, it made his usual composed behavior break a bit.

He lets his hair loose and exhales in exasperation, ruffling it with one hand before tying it back again. He felt bad for those that died, especially since they were betrayed by their own. It was sudden and unexpected, so much that he had to confirm the report three times.

Looking back on the activities they— the 35th— did in the past couple of months, nothing would make him suspect of a rebellion that might occur. Their performances keeping the corrupted at bay, which were starting to become more painful in the backside, was magnificent.

Not only were they stationed near the corrupted red sea, they had the best equipment to counter anything that dare penetrate the safety of the land border. He did not bare in mind that being overly reliant on to them would cause this huge mess.

And now they've begun attacking deliberately. They're more upfront now.

More...emboldened.

He could only wonder, ‘What's your goal here?’

The buzzing of sound made him look towards the other room, it's walls made of glass that look like it could shatter at a moment's notice. The captain of the 41st was standing there, finger pressed on the buzzer, before waving a hand after she saw that she now had his attention.

Watanabe turns to his second-in-command, “Ingra, tell the men to strike this outpost...” he points to one labeled as Outpost Delta.

Ingra poised beside him and studied the image on the holographic map. He seems to notice something in the middle of nowhere, as he zoomed into it.