6. A Colossal Mistake

(A/N: I realize that the timing is off in this story. It's currently 850 and in winter at the start of this chapter, meaning that the story is behind by about a year. Sorry for any confusion. Art Cred: KSYUPIC)

You woke to an empty bed, but could hear booted footsteps and hushed voices coming from his office. The door was closed, so you got up and grabbed a bar of soap from your bag. You didn't need a full shower, but you did want to freshen up, especially since you didn't know who the company was. The water was warm, allowing you to relax a bit. When done, you come out to find Erwin's clothes and the washcloth gone and your dress folded up on top of your bag.

Preferring to wear more casual clothes, you put on the outfit you first arrived in the city in and put your new dress up. You opened the door as quietly as possible to find Erwin talking to the man he was with yesterday, Levi, and a woman wearing glasses with her hair pulled back. Both Erwin and the woman were looking over a paper on his desk, Levi was sitting on the couch while drinking what you assume was a cup of tea. Nervously, you stood in the doorway and rubbed the back of your neck. You didn't want to interrupt what was going on, but you did want to say goodbye before you left.

"Morning." Levi was the first one to notice you. Both Erwin and the woman looked up towards you at his words. A small smile splayed on his lips and it made your heart flutter. The woman looked between you two, rather knowingly. 'Oh, no. Was she the one in Levi's room last night? How much did they hear?'

"Morning." You quietly replied, relieved that you didn't have to speak up to be noticed. "I didn't mean to interrupt."

"You're not interrupting. I hope you weren't running off so soon? Please, hang around a bit."

"Sure." You sat at the opposite end of the couch from Levi and pulled your feet up under you. Originally wanting to leave, you felt compelled to stay now.

"Have you met Four Eyes?" Levi asked.

"Nope!" She answered, exuberantly. "I'm Hange."

"It's nice to meet you." Hange seemed very upbeat, in contrast to Levi's calm exterior. "It seems like Erwin keeps great company." That elicited a smile from Levi's stoic face.

"She thinks you're great company, Hange."

"Because I am!"

"And you, too, Levi."

"Tch." Another drink of tea.

"If you're hungry, y/n, there's food in the mess hall. You're welcome to go grab something to eat."

"Oh, no, I couldn't. I don't know my way around here. Not to mention that I'm technically a stranger here. I don't feel comfortable with making myself at home yet."

"Understandable. We shouldn't be busy for much longer." Listening to Hange and Erwin talk about their jobs was interesting enough to keep you from grabbing a book off of the shelves, even if you didn't know what they were talking about. You'd be lying if you didn't say that he was attractive when he talked or worked. His serious, stern face somehow made his features sharper. It made you want him even more. And what makes it worse is that you still have feelings for him. The years apart have changed nothing.

Levi huffed as he stood up, snapping you out of your stupor. You lost track of time, watching and listening to them talk. He made his way to the door and opened it. Before leaving, he turned back to give his goodbyes, empty tea cup in hand. Hange was soon to follow, leaving with a wink and a grin. 'Oh, she knows for sure.' A blush crept across your face.

"Are you ready to go? If you want, we can stop for food on the way back."

"That'd be great. Let me get my bag and we can get going." You put your shoes on and grabbed your back. Before you left his office, he took your hand and kissed before kissing you.