18. Large Enough For Three

TW: Vague Consent
——

Everything seemed surreal after coming home. Everyone pretended like nothing happened, or at least tried to. You'd get the occasional look or side eye from people in the scouts. Erwin hasn't left your side except for the times that he couldn't; his hand always seemingly placed somewhere on your body. Some days he was fond of your waist, others your thigh. Maybe he was hovering as a way to keep you near him, so that you didn't pull another stunt like you did with Eren.

But that didn't matter anymore because you didn't plan on leaving again. Not when you knew what was out there now. Your childhood chats with Erwin made the world outside the walls seem brighter than what was in them, but now all you wanted was to stay inside them. They gave you a sense of security that freedom didn't. All you wanted now was him. It was all you could think about on your ride back from your parents.

Once you were done with the technicalities and questioning from the Police and other government officials that you lost track of, you had made your way home to see your parents. They had been worried sick when they heard that you were missing and your mother wouldn't stop crying when you returned. Even your ever-stoic father had tears in his eyes. Both of them begged you to quit nursing after assuming that it was what had caused you to disappear. Not wanting to explain to them the truth just yet, you reassured that nothing was going to happen now that you were back.

After meeting and staying with your parents for a few days, you were on your way back to Erwin's office. You dreaded the stays at the office, having to overhear everyone whispering. The time you spent with your parents was a relief from the scrutiny. With any hope, you wouldn't have to stay there much longer.

When you pulled up, you were met outside of the office by Erwin who had a smug smile on his face. He stood in front of the door of the carriage before you got out, effectively blocking you from doing so. Sitting back, you listen to him rattle off an address and then hand him money before climbing in with you.

"You have all of your luggage, right?"

"Well, not all of it. What's happening?" Why would he be worried about luggage?

"I'll send after it, then."

"Are you going to tell me what's going on or do I have to figure it out for myself?"

"You'll see once we get there. It's a surprise." His smile grew when you groaned in disdain. His mischievous smile brought out his boyish looks and a dimple. Your heart skipping a beat, you let him get away with not telling you.

"Tease." You stretched and curled up next to him, using his chest as a pillow. Not having gotten much rest on the trip up, you allowed him to wrap his arm around you so you could sleep.

----

"Are you awake? We're here." Erwin's hand woke you up; it's warmth reaching you through your sleeve.

"Where is 'here'?" With it still being light outside, you knew that you hadn't slept for long, but trees obscure your vision from seeing anything outside of the windows. Without saying anything, he got out of the carriage and offered you his hand.

"Such a gentleman." Teasing, you exited with his help and were greeted with the smell of flowers and pine. Beyond the birds chirping and the light trickling through the trees, you found the "surprise" at the end of a driveway. The house was white with vines creeping up the two stories to reach the brown roof. A chimney peaked out at the top behind the branches that give shade to the driveway.

"It's beautiful..." Stunned into not speaking, you stood in awe.

"You think it's large enough for three, maybe four, people?" Tears pricked the back of your eyes.