7. A Colossal Mistake, Part 2

You didn't know how long it had been exactly, at least a couple of hours. The light had dimmed, but it wasn't quite dark yet, so you assumed that the sun was setting. Every now and then, there were screams, some close, some far on out and you didn't dare move from where you were. They came from people who had hid in their homes like you and decided to come out, only to be faced with the horror that the walls hid from you.

The screams echoed in your head, bouncing off your skull like a game of tennis. People were dying and you couldn't do anything to save them. Is this how Erwin felt? Hearing the screams and cries of the people he led out of the walls? You shivered as another one sounded, closer this time. They were becoming less and less as the huge, smiling creatures made their way through Trost. What could the Scouts possibly be doing?

You recalled the woman in the alley, staring off into space, not being able to hear you. She couldn't have been over eighteen. And the titan that seemed to be against its own. What was the deal with that? Panic welled inside your chest. Was this going to be like Shiganshina all over? Just another city claimed by titans? A tear slid down your face at the thought that maybe you would have to leave your home at some point, and the risk that that posed was scary. You regret not running for the gate when you had the chance.

The more you thought about it, the more the panic grew, which ultimately made you more scared. 'When did I become such a wuss?'  A knock on the door sounded, startling you from your thoughts. You sat there, unmoving under the window, wondering who was knocking. Standing, you moved the curtain back just enough to see your front door. It was a scout, a rather tall one at that. You couldn't see his face, but you recognized the shaggy hair from a week ago. Frantically, you opened the door.

"Miche." You broke the silence you had kept for hours. The dam of tears you were holding finally broke and needing comfort, you hugged him.

"Hey, hey. It's okay. Everything is fine now." He wrapped his arms around you and let you cry. "Let's get you in bed. You could use some rest."

"B-But the titans..." You cried.

"They're gone. It's complicated, but I'll let Erwin explain it to you." He followed into your house, closing the door behind you. You offered him a chair next to you at the dining table, which he took.

"Where is he?"

"Doing his job. No need to worry about him. He was on a mission today. He should be back soon."

"How did you know where to find me?" You don't remember giving him your address. He adjusted himself in the seat, though you couldn't tell if was ashamed to answer or if he was fixing his pants to hide something.

"Erwin. You two must be good friends for him to care so much about you. He didn't want anything to happen to you." Miche gave a soft smile. You couldn't explain it, but his presence was comforting.

"While I don't understand it, thank you for coming to check on me. I really appreciate it."

"No worries. You should relax. I probably need to get back anyway." He got up to go, but hesitated. Right at crotch height now, you could tell what he was trying to hide. Looking away, your cheeks turned red.

"I'll get the door." You didn't want to make things awkward because holy fuck. From what you could tell, the man was huge. You offered a smile as he went to leave.

"You have the prettiest eyes, you know." He said softly. "I'm sorry to see them crying." Taking your chin in his hand, he leaned in to kiss you. His lips were warm and he smelled of cinnamon, whiskey, and sweat. Before his hand left your face, he wiped away the tears that still sat underneath your eyes.

"I'll see you around, alright?" Your heart skipped a beat as you watched him leave.

——

You watched from your bedroom window as people trickled back into the city. Your neighbors informed you that there were quite a few casualties, Scouts included, and it made you sick to your stomach. You managed to eat something when you first woke up, which made you feel better, but it was really the bath that sealed the deal for you. You hadn't felt up to doing either before you went to bed last night, the coffee made you crash and your mind wouldn't let up.