035.

GLISTENING DIAMONDS.
035. ❛ back at the compound.

SITTING ON A CHAIR, Diana pulled her athletic legs up and hugged her knees. Her hair was in a simple side braid; she had a grey blanket thrown over her shoulders, a cup of hot chocolate in her hands, and her tired and worried eyes zoned out as James Rhodes continued his meeting in the Avengers Compound. Her clothes were slightly torn up, and her back ached like hell from the fight.

"Still no word from Vision?" Thaddeus Ross asked, on a holographic conference call with James Rhodes.

Rhodey shrugged at the question, casting a look over his shoulder at the holograph table where Ross sat. "Satellites lost him somewhere over Edinburgh."

Ross raised a brow, and a scoff could almost be heard in his following sentence, "On a stolen quinjet with four of the world's most wanted criminals."

"You know they're only criminals because you've chosen to call them that, right, sir?" Rhodey shot back, walking towards him, subtly defending his friends.

"My God, Rhodes. Your talent for horseshit rivals my own." Ross said lazily, glancing up at him.

From where she sat cuddled up, Diana chuckled quietly at the remark. Even though she didn't like the man, she couldn't deny that she liked that line. And somehow, even in the darkest times, she still found humor in things.

"If it weren't for those Accords, Vision would've been right here," Rhodes reminded, gesturing to the room, ignoring Diana and trying not to give her presence away.

He watched as Ross lifted from his seat, moving around the table towards him. "I remember your signature on those papers, Colonel."

"That's right." he nodded, stepping forward to show his legs with exoskeletons to help him walk. "And I'm pretty sure I've paid for that."

"Do you have second thoughts?"

"Not anymore." Rhodey had a slight smirk playing on his lips.

A small beep signaling the door opening made the three look to the left. Walking in a small group, was Steve Rogers, Natasha Romanoff, Wanda Maximoff, Vision, and Sam Wilson.

Rhodes, Ross, and Diana immediately saw their changed appearances, and nearly all three of their jaws went slack.

Ross stepped towards the group, a sullen and disappointed frown on his face. "You've got some nerve, I'll give you that."

Natasha stared at him with intensity, her eyes narrowing slightly. "You could use some of that right now."

Ross directed his attention to Steve, sidestepping to him. "The world is on fire, and you think all is forgiven?"

Steve, frowning already, said, "I'm not looking for forgiveness. And I'm way past asking for permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight." Steve stepped down from the small ledge he was on, still towering over Ross. "And if you wanna stand in our way, we'll fight you too."

Diana bit her lip and smiled proudly, fighting the urge to go give the group a hug. Even though her heart was aching to wrap her arms around Peter, she was glad that at least Steve and Natasha were with her.